This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Science Fiction & Religion article in First Things

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Science Fiction & Religion article in First Things

Postby matdonna » March 30th, 2010, 5:32 pm

I put this here because of the Space trilogy reference at the beginning, but really the article is much broader. Anyone think it should be moved to a different forum? I just wanted those interested in the Lewis part of it to be able to come across it.

and meanwhile, a blessed Holy Week and celebration of Resurrection to all, East and West.
matdonna
Wardrobian

Re: Science Fiction & Religion article in First Things

Postby sehoy » March 30th, 2010, 6:47 pm

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby galion » March 31st, 2010, 12:16 am

Re Arthur C. Clarke and his disagreement: in 1954 (or thereabouts) in Oxford's Eastgate Hotel there was a fairly informal debate about the benefits or otherwise of space travel. For: Clarke, seconded by the rocket engineer A.V. Cleaver; against: CSL, seconded by Tolkien. The whole thing seems to have been pretty good-humoured; I don't think a vote was taken, but as they were leaving (after a glass or five) , Lewis is reported to have said: "I'm sure you're all very wicked people, but wouldn't this be a boring world if all of us were good?"
galion
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » April 1st, 2010, 6:46 pm

I love that story, galion
matdonna
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy