This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Stephen Hawking Opposes Contacting ET's.

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Stephen Hawking Opposes Contacting ET's.

Postby archenland_knight » April 29th, 2010, 3:00 pm

This seemed more appropriate in the "Space Triolgy" section than in the Current Events section because it's about the possibility of life outside our planet.

While the OOTSP and Perelandra are two of my favorite books of all time, I must admit that in reality, I find Hawking's view of potential ET life to be much more realistic.

Do you think Hawking is being overly pessimistic, or do you think his concerns are valid?
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Re: Stephen Hawking Opposes Contacting ET's.

Postby jo » June 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I am not massively convinced by what Hawkings is saying - quite apart from anything else (man I can't believe I am arguing with Stephen Hawkings here; just ignore me :)) I think that the possibilty of INTELLIGENT life having evolved near enough in the univese to reach us at the same time as we have is .. remote. Also, why should they be hostile, even if they had?
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » June 7th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » June 7th, 2010, 9:35 pm

I doubt that we need to assume that they would be hostile to envision a situation where a more advanced civilazation coming into contact with ours might not be a good thing. Historically, when two groups have encountered one another the less advanced society usually suffers for it.
While most of our technological growth has been inspired by warfare, a huge amount of expansionism and exploration has taken place because of the search for treasure or aquisition of lands. If the same model holds true, one would expect ET travellers to be looking for places to colonize (as by the English settlers in North America) or valuables that can be collected (as by Cortez in South America.) Neither holds a very healthy outlook for the native population.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 7th, 2010, 9:59 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » June 7th, 2010, 10:32 pm

archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 7th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Curious question: How does extraterrestrial life jive with most Christian theology? I mean, I assume Christians who believe in life on other planets also believe that God created them as well? Were they descended from their world's version of "Adam and Eve"? Do they have their own Satan, and a need for a savior?

No? Then maybe life on other planets started and evolved in a similar fashion to how most scientists believe it did here.

Still no? Well, perhaps there are other Gods, then, that created other worlds and...oh, never mind. Nobody would buy that. ;)
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby jo » June 7th, 2010, 11:43 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » June 8th, 2010, 12:24 am

archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 8th, 2010, 1:36 am

Thanks for the reply, AK. I really do find this question rather fascinating. I know a lot of Christians who would disagree with you, saying that a belief in ET's is contrary to God and scripture (although I wouldn't know if they could back up this claim).

I grew up being taught that there was definitely life on other planets, and that the same God we worship was their God as well. As you are aware, I was also taught that there are other parts of the universe (or possibly another universe altogether) where other gods exist and have their own dominion.

I can't say this was something that was mentioned a lot (and certainly not focused on), but it was understood to be true.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » June 8th, 2010, 2:29 pm

archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 8th, 2010, 3:04 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » June 8th, 2010, 6:39 pm

In the New Testament verses such as 2 Timothy 2:12 and others, the idea is that all believers in Christ will rule and reign with Him. I can't help but think that there are indeed worlds in other dimensions that have not experienced a fall like we have that God could put us in charge of. Being creatures made in the image of God, redeemed from our fallen state, could we not be better qualified to serve Him in this way? And that our time here on the earth is perhaps meant to prepare us for that responsibility?
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy