This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S. Lewis and the "Space Trilogy"

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

C.S. Lewis and the "Space Trilogy"

Postby JDMalament » May 8th, 2010, 9:33 pm

JDMalament
Wardrobian

Re: C.S. Lewis and the "Space Trilogy"

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 9th, 2010, 1:31 pm

I've read a copy that referred to it as 'The Cosmic Trilogy', so I don't know any more than you.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby galion » May 9th, 2010, 4:26 pm

"Space Trilogy" and "Cosmic Trilogy" are names I've only come across relatively recently; long ago I remember them being called the "Interplanetary" trilogy. I suspect that none of these were used in Lewis's lifetime. Does anybody know different?
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » May 9th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I have a 1945 Macmillan copy of THS and the dust jacket says about THS; "...It concludes the Trilogy of which `Out of the Silent Planet` was the first part, and `Perelandra` the second." And " This novel is another of its author's `strange masterpieces,` continuing the vein of humor and satire which has made him so popular."
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby Theophilus » May 9th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I don't know how Lewis would have felt but the terms "Space Trilogy" and "Interplanetary Trilogy" are inaccurate because the longest book takes place entirely on earth. I think "Cosmic Trilogy" is probably the most accurate way of describing it.
Theophilus
Wardrobian

Postby JDMalament » May 9th, 2010, 8:22 pm

I think "Cosmic Trilogy" is certainly a better way of describing it. However, I don't think that just because That Hideous Strength is the longest book and only takes place on Thulcandra (Earth), is reason enough to discard the term "Interplanetary Trilogy." Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra definitely fall under this category, as they both describe Ransom's travels between and interactions with beings from Malacandra and Perelandra. As for THS, while there is not really any interplanetary travel, I think this term could since apply since Thulcandra is located between the other two planets visited. Plus, the characters do still interact with the Eldila, which are somewhat otherworldly.

Either way, I think in the future, I will not personally refer to the trilogy using the term "Space."

- Jared
Member of the 2456317 Club

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby galion » May 9th, 2010, 8:46 pm

How about calling it "The Ransom Trilogy"? :toothy-grin:
galion
Wardrobian

Postby JDMalament » May 9th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy