This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Don't understand part of That Hideous Strength!

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Don't understand part of That Hideous Strength!

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » March 10th, 2005, 8:05 am

I've just finished That Hideous Strength and I would have to say I'm mighty confused by what was happening with all the animals and people in the last chapter or two. All the dressing up for a meal and whatever, I thought there was going to be a showdown between God, his angels and followers and satan, his demons and N.I.C.E? It ended a bit abruptly.
(I read the original version (450 pages?), not the shorter better paced version (240 pages?) Or is there another book in the trilogy?)
Anyone with answers?

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Re: Don't understand part of That Hideous Strength!

Postby Boyd Britton » March 12th, 2005, 3:54 pm

Last edited by Boyd Britton on March 26th, 2005, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boyd Britton
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » March 12th, 2005, 4:17 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » April 16th, 2005, 7:23 pm

I think that there is a massive contrast intended between Belbury and St. Anne's in this last set of scenes. At Belbury, the animals are imprisoned and experimented on, and the ultimate objective (at least on one level) of the work at Belbury is to destroy all life on Earth. There is no genuine love or romance at Belbury, what there is (in Miss Hardcastle) is twisted and perverted. And the focus at Belbury, and at the banquet, is on sterile self-congratulation, with a horror in the basement. At St. Anne's, the animals are brought up to a human level (Lewis goes to great lengths to explain this and to personalise the animals, e.g. Mr Bultitude). There is genuine love and romance - Mark and Jane (eventually), Ivy and Tom, the Dennistons. The last scene at Belbury is the collapse into confusion (via the curse of Babel and the intervention of Merlin - this reminds me of Samson), whereas the last scene at St. Anne's (this must certainly have roots in classical and medieval works, tho' my knowledge is too limited to know what) is of order, completion, and union, both between the human participants and the animals (if you want a literary example, look at the end of A Midsummer Night's Dream, where the disorder of nature and of the human partnerships is all set to rights)...
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » April 17th, 2005, 1:49 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy