This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The N.I.C.E....

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

The N.I.C.E....

Postby .Ælfgifu. » March 11th, 2005, 11:50 pm

A year or so ago I was inoffensively watching BBC News over breakfast when they suddenly started an interview with a lady from the N.I.C.E.

I'd like to say I spluttered a mouthful of cereal across the room, which would express my feelings at the time and add a certain amount of panache to the account, but I didn't so I can't. I'd also like to discover a sinister plot behind the National Institute for Clinical Excellence, but so far I haven't.

Just to prove that I'm not going potty:
.Ælfgifu.
Wardrobian

Re: The N.I.C.E....

Postby Sven » March 12th, 2005, 12:08 am

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby .Ælfgifu. » March 12th, 2005, 12:26 am

.Ælfgifu.
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » March 12th, 2005, 1:05 am

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby a_hnau » April 16th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Yes, I imagine that there are a number of British fans of Lewis who smile very wryly whenever this particular organisation is mentioned...
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

re: The N.I.C.E....

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 1st, 2006, 3:32 am

Awww...I want to smile wryly too :(
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » January 1st, 2006, 11:15 am

By all means - I wasn't in any way excluding folks who may not be UK-based from the wryness :) I can't see that the 'real' NICE is doing anything particularly heinous just now. I have more of a problem with a scientist who was interviewed on Radio 4 this last week, who was advocating the use of 'spare' embryos from fertility treatment, for various kinds of research. He was asked (I think by John Humphreys, who is an extremely even-handed interviewer) if he could appreciate the views of some people who might have ethical issues with this. His reply was that the original donors of the embryos had given their full permission for such uses, so how could there possibly be a problem? Now, I wouldn't mind so much if he had had a consciously "life doesn't begin at conception" view and had argued as such, but he really couldn't see there was an issue. I get slightly annoyed when Christians are represented as 'silent' on some of these issues; if you listen long enough to Radio 4, you will find people like John Humphreys (I have no idea of his personal faith position) sooner or later putting virtually every 'conservative' Christian view on topics such as abortion, euthanasia, embryo research, etc etc, to decision-makers who in many instances just brush the questions off. So let's not say that these views are never heard...

Sorry for the rant! I've been mulling over that one since I heard the interview...

Happy New Year to everyone on the Wardrobe, by the way.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Re: re: The N.I.C.E....

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » January 1st, 2006, 5:41 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » January 3rd, 2006, 3:51 pm

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy