This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Colors of Perelandra

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

The Colors of Perelandra

Postby Jofa » April 6th, 2005, 1:47 pm

Hey,
am writing an essay on the way Lewis wrote so that the worlds he portrayed were so vivid and real, mentioned what he said that it began with 'seeing pictures in his head'. I want to use examples from Perelandra and write a lot about the visual, the colors, the fragrances etc. in his descriptions -how he makes the reader experience the world not just read about it. But I would also like to have more of an introduction - maybe some references to works by other people on Lewis. Could anyone help me and refer to any essays or sth on that topic? will be grateful :)
"Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
Jofa
Wardrobian

Re: The Colors of Perelandra

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 6th, 2005, 4:13 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 6:53 am

Postby Jofa » April 12th, 2005, 8:35 am

Jofa
Wardrobian

Postby pjb0015 » May 20th, 2005, 4:43 pm

The quote about the satyr/faun walking in the snow with an umbrella is, I believe, in Surprised by Joy. Forgive me if I'm mistaken.
a member of the 2456317 club

sitting up till the small hours in someone's college rooms talking nonsense, poetry, theology, metaphysics over beer, tea, and pipes
pjb0015
Wardrobian

Postby Jofa » June 22nd, 2005, 3:07 pm

Jofa
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2005, 4:38 pm

Stanley - awesome idea about the three parallels with those classics. Now that I think about it, Perelandra is alot like Paradise Lost in different ways.

Yay,
Daniel

Return to The Space Trilogy