This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Space Trilogy Movies?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Theater of the mind

Postby Kanakaberaka » 15 Mar 2010, 12:25

agingjb wrote: It is from the section on Fantasy, in a paragraph that starts "In human art Fantasy is a thing best left to words, to true literature."

Okay, I thought you were refering to originality rather than visualization. Now thay you have clarified the matter, I can see how The Inklings would all agree with the idea. We each have our own notions about what fantastic places and characters should look like. Some people here have mentioned the idea that untill recently the special effects used in movies have fallen short of what we can imagine. But I think that even modern CGI does not do our fantasy images justice. It's not just how realistic a fantastic image appears (which sounds rather oxymoronic now that I think of it). It's the impression it makes in our minds. Dreams are always very personal messages. And Fantasy is all about putting our dreams into words.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Space Trilogy Movies?

Postby arowhena » 18 Mar 2010, 20:26

It's the impression it makes in our minds. Dreams are always very personal messages.

That’s a good way of putting things. Images are only powerful and effective if they initially mean something to the viewer, or better yet, invoke feelings and concepts not yet realized.

One fairly recent movie that used little or no special effects (to its advantage) was “The Others.”
The commonalty of “fear of darkness,” “creepy old houses,” “graveyards,” “creaking doors,” “creepy people,” and “childish innocence,” coupled with good story telling, and good acting was all that was necessary. If you have never a seen this movie – do so (but not alone).
arowhena

Postby Nerd42 » 18 Mar 2010, 21:19

LOL no, a Perelandra movie would not be advisable.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby CSLFAN » 21 Apr 2010, 13:44

Not advisable, maybe. But great to see, definitely!
CSLFAN

Postby Nerd42 » 21 Apr 2010, 15:10

CSLFAN wrote:Not advisable, maybe. But great to see, definitely!
I don't think Perelandra is a story you could capture on film in our present culture and actually achieve the meaning of the book. I mean, after all, it's a Garden of Eden story so the main characters spend most of the book without any clothes on. On film this would have an unavoidable sexual connotation that Lewis specifically explained in the book is not what's going on. He can do that in text and we can accept that and move on, but on film, that would not be possible. And if you change the story, you lose some of what the book was about in what I think would make it not really be "Perelandra" anymore.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » 22 Apr 2010, 14:35

You could probably get around the nudity issue (always assuming you could find someone to make the movie who would do it without exploiting that angle) much more easily, I think, than you would be able to deal with the fact that there is very little visible action in "Perelandra." Most of the conflict is within the characters even though there is a great physical battle. It is the sort of story that is very moving to read but would most likely fall flat when you tried to translate it to a purely visual format where the inner struggles cannot be portrayed. I suspect that a movie would focus on the physical and exclude the inner struggle which would completely lose the intent of the book.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » 22 Apr 2010, 20:23

paminala wrote:You could probably get around the nudity issue (always assuming you could find someone to make the movie who would do it without exploiting that angle) much more easily, I think, than you would be able to deal with the fact that there is very little visible action in "Perelandra." Most of the conflict is within the characters even though there is a great physical battle. It is the sort of story that is very moving to read but would most likely fall flat when you tried to translate it to a purely visual format where the inner struggles cannot be portrayed. I suspect that a movie would focus on the physical and exclude the inner struggle which would completely lose the intent of the book.
I agree. But you could make a movie out of That Hideous Strength probably and mention Perelandra in it
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Mista McPhee » 07 Jul 2010, 05:47

"Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandria" might be hard to make, but "That Hideous Strength" could be a great movie if done right, and kept true to the Book.
Mista McPhee

Postby Kanakaberaka » 08 Jul 2010, 05:06

Mista McPhee wrote:... "That Hideous Strength" could be a great movie if done right, and kept true to the Book.

Yes, it could be a great metaphysical thriller. But would your rather see it set in the post WWII period or in our modern world? Personaly I think an alternate 20th Century would be the only practical way to be faithful to Lewis' book.

Many folks these days would interpret THS as a warning about the "New World Order" or what some right wingers call "Progressives". I think C.S. Lewis was warning us about real demonic powers rather than mundane human conspiracies.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby CSLFAN » 09 Jul 2010, 21:11

Personally, I'm a stickler for literary accuracy, but it would be interesting to give all of the books a modern-era treatment. It would especially work for THS.
CSLFAN

Postby Erekose » 22 Aug 2010, 21:58

I don't think any of the books would really work as films.

BBC style mini-series.. yes. They could probably be done.

A film would by definition either entail the film being longer than usual, or having stuff cut out.

In my mind I can equate THS with carre's Tinker Tailor... Action is minimal, and most of the story concerns conversations and interpretations of events. It works as the 6 part BBC series (to an excellent degree), but a film would loose the.. subtelty.

Justy the opinion of a late night befuddled brain
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Who? done it

Postby Kanakaberaka » 23 Aug 2010, 01:58

Erekose wrote:BBC style mini-series.. yes. They could probably be done.

I would enjoy the sort of hokey special effects seen on the BBC's Doctor Who? series rather than modern CGI eye candy. There would be less focus on the style of the Space Trilogy stories and more on their substance. THS would certainly be a tough story to translate to the big screen, especially here in the USA.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » 23 Aug 2010, 04:43

I wouldn't. I think a combination of CGI and animatronics would go down really well. Look at Jurassic Park. It's from the early 90's and the dinosaurs in that one look more realistic than most purely CGI creations these days.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » 23 Aug 2010, 15:31

For some reason (maybe because it is Monday morning and my brain hasn't fully kicked in yet?) it just occurred to me that "Perelandria" at least (and quite possibly all three in series) might work as Broadway musical type stage performances. The surreal and beautiful aspects could be accentuated and the nudity would no longer be an issue.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby Kanakaberaka » 24 Aug 2010, 04:55

paminala wrote: ... "Perelandria" at least (and quite possibly all three in series) might work as Broadway musical type stage performances. The surreal and beautiful aspects could be accentuated and the nudity would no longer be an issue.

You are sure right on that. There is little I can think of that would shock our B'way theater goers. Usually though, body stockings are used to suggest nudity on stage here in big productions. All Tinindril will need is a green body stocking along with a matching wig and makeup for here face and hands.

As for the musical part, Sven has already posted a few lyrics from a Perelandra opera.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy