This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Perelandra Reading Group

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: Perelandra Reading Group

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 6th, 2009, 7:36 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 8th, 2009, 12:04 am

Just a couple notes to add to my previous post:

Another example of something that wasn't initially part of God's plan (whatever that can mean in reality -- obviously His omniscience would cover all contingencies, but however it works up there in eternity... :smile: ) but that was apparently "incorporated" into his working out, was the fact that God didn't originally want his people to have kings in the way that the other nations had kings. But they insisted and so God gave them a king, and whether it was a good idea at the time, the concept was obviously incorporated into the imagery we now have of the kingdom of God, with its king of kings and such.

I also wanted to say that, interestingly, if my idea of humour being a result of the fall has any merit, I have suggested that humor in its most basic forms seems to hinge on "fallen" things -- incongruities of our nature with the world and disappointments and the situations we get into because of our sins and such. In the post above I likened it's "nobility" to the fact that Adam and Eve covered themselves as a result of the fall, and that clothes have been incorporated into the very imagery of Heaven. Though I can't exactly put my finger on it, I want to say that somehow in an analogous way, humor is sort of our way of "covering" the shame of the "nakedness" of our sin with laughter, perhaps not unlike how Adam and Eve attempted to cover the shame of the realization of their nakedness with clothes. So I guess I'm thinking something along the line that humor can almost seem like a "spiritual" counterpart to our sin as clothes are a physical counterpart to nakedness. Thus humor is a kind of "spiritual clothing" we take on as a result of the fall.

And finally, I can't resist mentioning the image I proposed on my own (outdated and long in need of revision) webpages where I suggested that the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil was not the popular image of the apple, but actually a banana and that when Eve tasted of it, she left the peeling on the ground so that when she called Adam over, he slipped on it, thus introducing both humor and the fall into the world at the same time...

running for cover,
--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » March 28th, 2009, 8:04 am

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy