This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Studdocks' unborn child

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: More on That Hideous Strength

Postby throughlkglass » February 26th, 2005, 12:07 am

throughlkglass
Wardrobian

Re: The Studdocks' unborn child

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 5:28 pm

Pro-male dogma was common of C.S. Lewis' time let alone the Church... Let's remember how far society has moved in general towards the acceptance of women as intelligent contributing memebers of society; women are afforded more opportunity then ever before.
I've personally always been facinated by Lewis' views on gender. One only has to go as far as Perelandra to see that Lewis has great respect for women in that he sees them as eathern mothers, wise, and mostly innocent (enter here the green lady). His views are stereotypical for sure but don't some stereotypes emerge from fragments of truth? Don't most women feel strongly about, say, communication in relationship while men desire physical compatability? There are some things that men and women revert to at there most basic sense of being- Lewis just takes this thought further than we are comfortable admitting... Sometimes women are just emotional and men are just physical, soft vs. hard, yielding vs. taking, thoughtful vs. taking action, etc. We have predisposed views on feminine and masculine, I think, because we are indeed created with different kinds of intelligence and the yin and yang of feminine and masculine shouldn't be feared or discarded simply because we don't fully understand them.

Postby Bill » April 8th, 2005, 6:13 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 10:37 pm

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 4:22 pm

Postby Sven » April 12th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 10:09 pm

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 10:43 pm

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2005, 6:05 pm

Did anyone else read THS this way?

Jane could have had a child, who would have done great things in the world in the name of good. These good things would have lasted over 1000 years. (as says Merlin) I presumed this child WOULD have been the next Pendragon. (An assumption) Because Jane missed her opportunity Dennistons child will be the next Pendragon. I am aware I am making assumptions. Please tell me how I should see it differently. If both assumptions are wrong then who would be the next Pendragon?

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 13th, 2005, 7:24 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » April 13th, 2005, 7:46 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2005, 10:52 pm

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2005, 11:41 pm

I still hope my question is answered and if anyone else saw it how I saw it. BUT I do think the sentiments of them both being at fault hold true. Well put, and that is how I read it at least.

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 14th, 2005, 3:01 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2005, 8:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy