This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

floating island

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

floating island

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 6th, 2005, 3:48 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: floating island

Postby The Bigsleep J » November 7th, 2005, 5:19 am

Reminds me of a story I once heard about an island of pumice (floating volcanic rocks sometimes used to clean feat) that formed after the eruption of Krakatoa - people tried to built on it but didn't realize it was a floating island and almost drifted away after a storm.
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » November 7th, 2005, 12:27 pm

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » November 11th, 2005, 11:27 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Middle Earth Migrants?

Postby Kanakaberaka » November 13th, 2005, 1:28 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: floating island

Postby Kanakaberaka » November 13th, 2005, 1:39 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby hana » November 27th, 2005, 4:14 am

That is such an incredible article! Thanks for posting it! Jonathan and I got a good laugh.

It sounded so much like Stanley B.S. that I thought until the end that it could be another one of his inventions.
previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 29th, 2005, 7:53 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Small World

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 29th, 2005, 9:33 am

Hello Messenger;
Would you be familiar with a company called "Cotswold Collectables" by any chance? They are located on Whidbey Island. They sell G.I. Joe reproductions called the "Elite Brigade" such as the one I am presently using as my avatar.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 29th, 2005, 6:27 pm

:shocked: NO!!! Never heard of them, but now I shall have to look them up :grin: Believe it or not I LOVED GI joe as a kid. It was a secret thing, my mom did not approve of girls playing with GI Joe :blush:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 20th, 2006, 6:52 pm

I recently went to a Creationist Scientist's lecture in town--Dr. Kurt Wise--and he revealed one of the latest theories (and he gave us evidence that may support the theory) about the origins of the oil (and why it is indeed an exhaustible supply).

Now of course it is all conjecture at this point, and he freely admitted that, but it was very fun to be allowed into the thought processes of the elite Creationists for a moment.

He said that the original land-mass that God created (and that Genesis testifies was all drawn into one place) may have had massive reefs surrounding it, and out, beyond the reefs, floating vegetation mats--great islands really--of almost subcontinental size , of graduating thickness, even with trees atop the thickest parts. There is ample fossil evidence for the existence of such floating mats. A few small versions even exist in the world today. These floating islands would have supported (both above and below) countless creatures of bizarre and wonderful form, many of which we have evidence in the fossil record today.

When the Flood cataclysm came, these floating islands would have very quickly succumbed to the tidal disruption and would have been forced to the bottom of the ocean, and there by the processes inherent in the death and trauma of the Flood, been turned into the vast reservoirs of what we now know as oil. I can't remember the technical process that he described that turned the mats into the oil. I was too busy reeling in delight, thinking of Perelandra and the "Fixed Land" and the "Floating Land".

Just a very fun speculation, one which frequenters of THIS forum will appreciate as much as I do :cool:
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy