This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Gravity on the ship in OOTSP

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Gravity on the ship in OOTSP

Postby pedestrian73 » January 13th, 2006, 12:45 am

pedestrian73
Wardrobian

Re: Gravity on the ship in OOTSP

Postby Bill » January 13th, 2006, 11:38 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Re: Gravity on the ship in OOTSP

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 13th, 2006, 2:09 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Gravity on the ship in OOTSP

Postby The Pfifltrigg » February 16th, 2006, 6:11 am

Good point about the mirrors there. Also, I seem to recall that Lewis himself realized the impossibility of the spherical craft, but was (as with much else in OTSP) giving a wink and a nod to the popular/pulp sci-fi of the time--- the 1930s, as pulp was becoming its own genre of literature. Also, I think, to the First Men in the Moon of H. G. Wells' novel. It would probably have been in CSL's collection called On Other Worlds, but I'm not certain.
Last edited by The Pfifltrigg on February 24th, 2006, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » February 16th, 2006, 11:01 pm

Ok.. My first venture into Heretical Thoughts on OotSP

Take a rotating black hole, throw matter into it, and you get usable energy (I read this in a book about black holes by Prof penrose I think it was.. but I digress).

Sooo.. if one could stabilise a micro-black hole (so that it didn't evaporate instantly as suggested by Hawking), it could be used as a power source for a space ship.

Give said micro-black hole an electric charge (drop electrons into it say)_, and you can hold it in place with magnetic fields...

Now.. build a space ship around this micro-black hole, and depending on the mass, one has a ship with floors which form concentric spheres with the black hole at the centre.

/me wonders how his first venture fares
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Re: re: Gravity on the ship in OOTSP

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 17th, 2006, 1:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 17th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 20th, 2006, 8:31 am

You guys frighten me. :read:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » February 20th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 20th, 2006, 7:56 pm

So long as you are not one of the Knights who say "Ni". Image
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby YHWH_is_Semper_Fi » February 21st, 2006, 4:48 pm

Ni
"...If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and keep before me the life of Him by whose example and help I trust to obtain the answer to my prayer, Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen."
---Midshipman's Prayer

Member of the 2456317 club
YHWH_is_Semper_Fi
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » February 24th, 2006, 11:30 pm

"But how can we stop saying it if we don't know what word it is?" :lol:

I think, given the other peculiarities of the Westonian space-travel technology, a black hole is probably the most reasonable solution. It obviously had something to do with the production and harnessing of Weston Rays. Presumably this particular manifestation of energy is comprised of those streams of particles which escape black holes, converted by means unknown to a relative portion of directable energy. But I'm only a lit-geek. Semper should be able to give you a better analysis of the exact formulae involved. Something to do with strengths-of-materials, I supppose. :cool:
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby YHWH_is_Semper_Fi » February 25th, 2006, 4:10 am

"...If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and keep before me the life of Him by whose example and help I trust to obtain the answer to my prayer, Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen."
---Midshipman's Prayer

Member of the 2456317 club
YHWH_is_Semper_Fi
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy