This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question on Ransom

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Question on Ransom

Postby David » January 29th, 2006, 2:59 pm

This is really more of a one-shot question, but I could not find a proper forum for it, so I created a new one.

Do any of you experts on the Space Triology know the passage where the narrator talks about Ransom becoming a vegetarian? It seems like it's in That Hideous Strength, and it's related to his experience on Malacandra, but I can't find it by thumbing through the pages.

Just for the sake of the fourm, I am not a vegetarian and don't want this to turn into a debate on the topic. Good Lord, what a tedious debate that is! Maybe if people have other questions about Ransom, they might put them here.

My primary aim is to recover that particular passage in the novel.

DWL
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Re: Question on Ransom

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 29th, 2006, 7:11 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Question on Ransom

Postby David » January 29th, 2006, 10:07 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Re: re: Question on Ransom

Postby Monica » January 31st, 2006, 1:57 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 31st, 2006, 4:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Question on Ransom

Postby TarwathieI » August 8th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Although I would believe this passage is in perelandra, I just finished re-reading the book and i dont recall anything saying he is a "vegitarian" although I will quote one passage that seems relevant to your question. It happens in chapter 2 when it is describing when ransom comes back from perelandra and is conversing with lewis and Humphrey

"No thanks. I dont somehow feel like bacon or eggs or anything of that kind. No fruit you say? Oh well, no matter. Bread or porridge or something"

It seems that after his experiences on perelandra, terrestial food does not satisfy, and only our fruits are a reminder of the lustrious guords which give un-imaginable pleasure.
TarwathieI
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » August 9th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy