This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Working at N.I.C.E.

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Working at N.I.C.E.

Postby TheodoreMV » February 8th, 2006, 5:18 am

First off I just want to say Hi. I used to Post under the Name TheodorePC or something of the sort. I took an undergrad course on C.S. Lewis and his worldview and loved it. He even inspired me to enter the Jesuit Volunteer corps. I have since left and went down to DC to live near my girlfriend. Fate is funny that way. But anyway here it goes...

So I threw all my stuff in my car and drove down to DC. I stayed at the Dominican house of studies until I found a place. Thanks Craigslist. I set up an interview before I left, and had it the day after I moved into the place I am currently typing from.

So I go into the job interview and it seems as though they are really high on me, so I in turn start thinking I am as great as they say I am. Everyone at this small company is young and attractive and it seems like a great atmosphere. (The NICE part will make sense soon enough). I go through an interview and then another, then I get called back while driving home and told to come in the next day for an interview. It turned into a job shadow. It is basically door to door sales, but they call it "face to face". How they sell their product is through this acronym.
F
U
J
I
Fear of Loss (Who's power is fear?)
Urgency (let them know that it is now or never)
Joneses (as in keeping up with... Primarily a greed thing)
Indifference (acting as though you do not care if they buy or not... manipulation)

After shadowing for a while I found the success rate was very high. I was surprised to see these people fall under the spell. It really was a spell, people would be totally against and then they would realize that "every other company is doing it" and fall into the trap.

Either way, after the 10 hour day being a door-to-door salesman I went back and was offered the job. What was so enticing was the fact that I could ascend the ranks very fast. The CEO was making 2.1 Million a year and he was only 28. I am 23 and I do not find myself only caring about money. I formerly was working in a homeless shelter. But, this scared me, scared me by how real it was and how I could earn a ridiculous amount of money.

Too long I know, so sorry but I had to post this. So I went out to eat with my girlfriend and she was very supportive and she started saying how it seemed a little odd, and she asked me if the organization was anything like NICE. I had given her the book about a year earlier and I figure she never read it. It was one of the first times we spoke about it. I laughed it off. I had done research on the company and found it perfectly legit.

Her saying that made me look into it some more, and I looked up a word the guy I was shadowing used, but then said "Forget I said that." That word was Cydcore.

Cydcore is an evil organization that makes most of its money on people who fail, and work for them for on average 14 months while falling into debt and trouble in every aspect of their life. Google Cydcore, DS-Max, or Amway, they are all basically the same. They are all evil and inherently so.

I did not know that such evil was real, but I saw it first hand, and not only was it easier to recognize it and compare it to NICE, it was brought up by my girlfriend because I suggested the book to her. I am not sure how big a deal this is to other people but to me it was huge, and I thought I would be doing a disservice by not sharing this on a forum which helped me learn about NICE and C.S. Lewis.

Thanks everyone
TheodoreMV

re: Working at N.I.C.E.

Postby The Pfifltrigg » February 16th, 2006, 5:50 am

Mark, leave Bradbury (let your Feverstone fellow have his own dang car wreck!) and ask Jane to the altar at once! :idea: If Dr. Ambrose is not avaliable to officiate, you may be able to contact the current Pendragon. (but be sure he is the true Pendragon, and not some upstart... ;)
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy