This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What's so special?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: re: What's so special?

Postby Janet » May 2nd, 2006, 9:00 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

re: What's so special?

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 3rd, 2006, 8:25 pm

Janet wrote: "I've heard it said, and I think pretty reliably, although I can't remember where at the moment, that Ransom is based on Tolkien, the philologist."

You're right of course, Janet! I read that too. But mark that I say "the Ransom of THS". He seem to undergo quite a development between the first two books to the third. A commanding figure reclining on a couch, with an inherent authority that even Merlin the magician acknowledges. The inhabitants in the house refer to him as the "master", and Jane Studdock's world is shattered at the sight of him.

This is how Lewis described Williams: "He is an ugly man with rather a cockney vioce. But no one ever thinks of this for 5 minutes after he has begun speaking. His face becomes almost angelic. Both in public and in private he is of nearly all the men I have met, the one whose address most overflows with love. It is simply irresistable. [...] A most wonderful performance and it impressed his audience, specially the young women, very much." (Letters of C.S. Lewis; The Inklings)

In some other instance also Lewis talks about William's commanding presence. Lewis thought seems to have been heavily influenced by Williams during the war years, when Williams was living in Oxford, and during which time Lewis wrote THS.

I'm anxious to hear other views.
Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 3rd, 2006, 8:53 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » May 4th, 2006, 6:59 am

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » May 4th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 4th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Postby Janet » May 5th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 5th, 2006, 8:18 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 5th, 2006, 8:29 pm

I love that song, Stanley!

Here is a rambling inspired my post before on the authorship of DT:

Sorry about my blooper!
I'm no conspiracy trooper
And to me the book is super
Even if it was written by Hooper
Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Postby Janet » May 6th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 7th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 7th, 2006, 9:21 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 7th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 8th, 2006, 2:25 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » May 8th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy