This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What's so special?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

What's so special?

Postby Áthas » February 15th, 2006, 11:39 am

Áthas
Wardrobian

re: What's so special?

Postby NarniaLover89 » February 15th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » February 15th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Its a very difficult question to answer.

I think that Lewis considered this world of ours less than perfect. (perish the thought it might have even crossed his mind that God had it wrong about some things). I always feel when I read the first two books at least that he was attempting to create a solar system (unlike some scifi writers I don't think he thought in terms of the the Universe or even the Galaxy) which was was as perfect as it could be. I think he used to worry for instance about the unpredictability of the sex urge in humans so he conceived an intelligent species which only mated, was it just once (?), and was content with that. His creations also had a direct and personal relationship with God. As far as I can remember there was no disease but people just died from old age when their time had come, and so on!

I may be way off the mark but this is how see Malacandra at least, and he was hoping that Perlandra would turn out the same once the enemy had been eliminated.

It may have been his conception of a world without "the fall" but I have a feeling that there was more to it than that.

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Sylvia Lee » February 18th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Re: re: What's so special?

Postby Monica » February 20th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » February 20th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Gabriel Syme » February 21st, 2006, 10:22 am

In our school, on a wall, there is a big writing, saying «I care». It is the untranslatable motto of the best among young Americans. It means: «I AM interested in it; it is dear to me». That's the exact opposite of the fascist motto, «I don't care». (Lorenzo Milani, priest. Lettera ai giudici; 1965)
Gabriel Syme
Wardrobian

Postby jo » February 28th, 2006, 4:34 pm

I don't know .. just because Merlin was appalled that Jane and Mark used contraception doesn't mean that Lewis necessarily was not in favour of zero population growth.. it's a big jump from one to the other :). And wasn't there a specific reason why Jane and Mark were supposed to have had a family and hence it was appalling that they didn't?
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 28th, 2006, 5:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » April 17th, 2006, 3:13 am

I think what was special to me about the trilogy was seeing God (or His messangers) from an alien perspective. The thought that life could be out there and know our same God from a different view is so cool. I love reading normal Science Fiction, but the few "Christian" SF books I've read have fallen hopelessly short. Lewis overcame that for me, and at the same time gave me something lacking in regular SF.
"We are armed with the truth. What can harm us if we are armed with the truth?"
"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 17th, 2006, 1:25 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 17th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Re: What's so special?

Postby StrawberryRose » April 19th, 2006, 12:45 am

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
StrawberryRose
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » April 19th, 2006, 12:58 am

Perhaps I don't apply to this discussion, having only read Perelandra thus far. But even on that one book, I'd have to agree with jo. There is just something about it, something that draws you in. The first time I read it was about three years ago, so I didn't understand it very well. Yet at the same time, even only grasping the basics of the story, it was still so... intriguing. I don't know why, still, even after reading and rereading it over and over [until I can get my hands on a copy of the rest], it's such a great book. I just know that it is, and that's good enough for me.

(And yes, much better than regular Sci Fi.)
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » April 19th, 2006, 3:26 am

I agree: I'll pick up a book of SF short stories at the library, to read between the shelves. But if Asimov et al are good hot-dogs, the Space Trilogy is steak! I used to read some J. Verne and H. G. Wells, too, but they only hold a candle to Deep Heaven, which shines so bright as never to need one.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy