This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What's so special?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

re: What's so special?

Postby Cuinn » April 19th, 2006, 3:35 am

"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Cuinn
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 19th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Perelandra is on the whole my least favourite of the three, but the Un-Man is a remarkable creation - one of the creepiest images of evil I can recall.
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

too little - Just Right - TOO MUCH

Postby Kanakaberaka » April 27th, 2006, 1:38 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » April 27th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Having (at last!) gotten my hands on, and finished reading, the Space Trilogy, I'd have to agree all the more strongly with this thread. I still can't quite put my finger on it, though.

I think that my favorite was Out of the Silent Planet, if for no better reason than that it was a bit lighter of an atmosphere than the other two. But then, it's a very very very grayish line, because the other two are so excellent, as well.

And even if that's my favorite, That Hideous Strength was more captivating, and a bit more... real. It touched a nerve that none of the others came close to, and the effect was... chilling. The references to Numinor didn't hurt, either. :cool:

Overall... it could just be his style. He has a talent that no other writer I've ever come across could even touch... even Tolkien.
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 1st, 2006, 8:40 am

Having been involuntarily absent from these forums for quite some time, it's quite possible that what I say have been recently said by others. But anyway.

What is so special about the Space Trilogy? To me, these novels are really like an archaelogical dig: every time you return to them you find gems at an even deeper level. Saying, "Yes, I've read the already" would be like saying, "Yes, I've seen the Cheops pyramid, but I didn't bother to go inside.

Lewis would at times approach subjects in his writings in two alternate, very different ways: one highly scholarly version, and one popular. This is especially evident in the case of the three books comprising the Space Trilogy. The scholarly treatment of the theme popularized in Out of the Silent Planet – the Medieval view of the universe as being not dead and barren but alive – was first put forth in the lectures given in 1928, later edited and published as The Discarded Image. The theme of Perelandra – the fall of man – was first treated by Lewis in three lectures on John Milton´s Paradise Lost given in 1941 at University College of North Wales in Bangor. These lectures formed the basis for Preface to Paradise Lost, which was published in 1942, and the following year saw the publication of Perelandra. The basis for That Hideous Strength was three lectures held at Durham University, that were later published as The Abolition of Man.

It seems Lewis had become increasingly worried about the notions put forth by prominent scientists and philosophers about the importance of the race and the great collective and the consequent unimportance of the individual. This view could be described as a proposition that technically advanced races have the right to supercede less advanced ones, because the supreme moral end is the perpetuation of our own species, and that this end is to be pursued at all cost.

Lewis feared that the implementing of these ideas, which he called “scientism”, would strip our species of all those things for which we value it – of pity, happiness and freedom, and he wanted to show how dreadful the present tendencies might become if allowed to proceed unchecked. Many people believed as a result that he was attacking science, but Lewis said he was criticising not scientists, but what was rather a kind of political conspiracy that used science as its pretext.

He also poses the question: What if there are other inhabited planets and contact with these is indeed possible within not too distant a future? What then will our relationsship to our interplanetary neighbours be? Lewis considered a race indifferent to ethics to be like a cancer in the universe, certain as he was that man would mistreat aliens as he has other races here on earth: “I look forward with horror to contact with the other inhabited planets, if there are such. We would only transport to them all of our sin and our acquisitiveness, and establish a new colonialism.” (God in the Dock, p. 267). Hence, our world is described as being in a state of "quarantine" as it were.

He was very definitely trying to smash the 19th century female angel. "I believe no angel ever appears in Scripture without exciting terror: they always have to begin by saying 'Fear not'. […] By the way, none of my Eldila would be anything like so high up the scale as Cherubim and Seraphim. Those orders are engaged wholly in contemplation, not with ruling the lower creatures. Even the Annunciation was done by—if I may so put it!—a 'mere archangel.' […] Apropos of horrid little fat baby 'cherubs', did I mention that [Hebrew] Kherub is from the same root as Gryphon? That shows what they´re really like!" (Letters to an American Lady, p. 13).

I see this is already getting long and cumbersome. More later.
Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Re: re: What's so special?

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 1st, 2006, 1:59 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 1st, 2006, 6:57 pm

Thanks, Stanley, I feel like a Jew returning from the diaspora of Babylon. It's great to be back.
Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Postby Áthas » May 1st, 2006, 9:34 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » May 2nd, 2006, 8:56 am

Perelandra has wormed it's way into my unconscious. I love the decent of the gods in That Hideous Strength too. Can not get into Malecandra. Might be because I'm the antithethis of a winter person. Hate winter. And snow. And anything related to snow and winter. :p
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby sehoy » May 2nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Welcome back, Jew of the Diaspora, Bengt-Ove. So glad to see you. Even though you won't remember me, I have saved posts of yours.

:)
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby The Bigsleep J » May 2nd, 2006, 9:11 am

Welcome back Bengt-Ove. Although I don't think you were around when I joined the 'Drobe, I have heard a lot of you over the past few years, believe it or not! :) So welcome back.
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby kevinshowe » May 2nd, 2006, 2:31 pm

Bengt got it right. It's the Medieval cosmology that makes the trilogy so special. Of course, you haven't really read the trilogy until you've read The Discarded Image. ;-)
kevinshowe
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 2nd, 2006, 3:29 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 2nd, 2006, 8:34 pm

Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Postby Janet » May 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy