This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Fairy Hardcastle

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

re: Fairy Hardcastle

Postby sehoy » March 31st, 2006, 8:13 am

I got a part of it, anyways and I figured it out on my own. :shocked:

I'll repost the article I found yesterday here:

I hope I’ve finally gotten to the bottom of what it is that irks me about Till We Have Faces so much.

I read the Thomas Howard interview last night, and I go “Wow! Mr. Lewis had a really high view of Woman. So does Mr. Howard. Wow. That’s great.”

Then I walked around all evening and all this morning working this over, because something was still bothering me.

It was when I was walking home from the bus stop this morning that I suddenly remembered something the real Psyche had said to her parents as she was being led away to be sacrificed to the god. It made me realize something very important I had always thought about Lewis’s Psyche.

I had always hated that Psyche, from the very beginning and to this day. She was a mealy-mouthed, holier-than-thou, longing for death and things far away, kind of girl. When people began to worship her, she accepted it. *hurl* She happily took on the saint-like martyr role. She believed she really was a goddess and that the god on the mountain was her destiny and her just due.

No thanks. I have no interest in being a goddess or a saint or a holier-than-thou woman reaping in the worship and the gifts that I think are my just due. No thank you.

And the real Psyche said no thank you, too. She did not want to be the New Venus and she did not want to be worshipped. When the real Psyche’s parents are weeping and grieving as they prepare to take her up to the hill to be sacrificed, she tells them that they are grieving at the wrong time: “When countries and peoples were giving me divine honours, when with one single voice they were all calling me a new Venus, that is when you should have grieved, that is when you should have wept, that is when you should have mourned me as if I were already dead.”

I always liked Orual. But she was never good enough for Lewis. He had to turn her into Psyche. That’s worse than death. She’s not even Orual anymore. She becomes another Psyche. Another one of those particular Psyche’s that inspire me, not at all.

I am angry that he says Orual is not good enough, as herself, and that the only way she can be good enough is to become another mealy-mouthed, saint-like, holier-than-thou goddess Psyche.

No thank you.

And this also explains to me why the whole Goddess Worship movement, the Divine Feminine crap, and God as Mother agitation repel me so much, as well.

This real living woman wants no part of any of that. She already has a face, and it is her own, thank you very much.

I think I’m finally done.

sehoy
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » March 31st, 2006, 4:41 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » April 2nd, 2006, 8:28 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » April 3rd, 2006, 12:53 pm

I am not sure I entirely understand all that but it certainly sounds rather over-analytical in some parts :). Question is, can you ever like Till We Have Faces again?
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » April 4th, 2006, 7:51 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby The Pfifltrigg » April 7th, 2006, 9:18 pm

I read a lot from an early age (I think I read more "classics" during grade school than college!), and I discovered early on that men don't write believable females nor women, believable males--- as a general rule, anyway. I therefore am not in the least upset that Orual is, as a woman, faceless. I thought she was actually more believable in that role than, say, Jane Studdock or others. I attribute this improvement to Lewis' having actually known and married a woman in the interval between the two books. Fairy Hardcastle doesn't have to be believable.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Re: re: Fairy Hardcastle

Postby Monica » April 8th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 8th, 2006, 5:45 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » April 9th, 2006, 2:39 am

Monica
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy