This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Fairy Hardcastle

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: re: Fairy Hardcastle

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 3rd, 2006, 3:32 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 3rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » March 3rd, 2006, 5:31 pm

Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 3rd, 2006, 5:43 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » March 3rd, 2006, 8:08 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

re: Fairy Hardcastle

Postby jo » March 4th, 2006, 9:57 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » March 14th, 2006, 10:57 am

Stanley,

You're a good'un. :) Thanks for taking that in a good way.

I like Dorothy Sayers a lot, especially when she writes specifically about Christianity, but I have problems with her as a woman. With her as a female. She definitely had ovaries, but other than that, there is not much feminine about her. She abandoned a child, as well. This is so not maternal.

I want to know what's up with all these unfeminine, unmaternal, manly women. They're the only ones who get any attention from C.S.Lewis and crew. They're the only ones let into the inner ring.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » March 14th, 2006, 12:28 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby kbrowne » March 14th, 2006, 2:44 pm

kbrowne
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » March 14th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 14th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » March 16th, 2006, 8:36 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby David » March 17th, 2006, 2:23 am

Just getting into this discussion, I want to say something on the character of Fairy Hardcastle. I think she is put in, as a lesbian character, to illustrate the perverse nature of the N.I.C.E. Here we will run into objections on the "perversity" of lesbianism but let's just say that the topic is another debate and that Lewis would have seen it as perverse.

The disjointing of sexuality is a major theme in the book. Jane does not want to have a child. Fairy is a lesbian. Filostrato is refered to once as "an Italian eunuch." Straik is called an "obscene senility" (we would assume that his days of potency are long past). And when Merlin comes on the scene he talks about the "uses of Silva," which seem to be sexual sterility.

The N.I.C.E. wants to turn the world into ashes, wants to have, as one of the characters says, "oxen and geldlings." There is conspiracy against fruitfulness and childbearing. So Fairy would be only one example of human sexuality gone wrong--one among many.

As to Stan's remark about Lewis sort of liking her, the book talks about "an honest thief," and contrasts people who are just criminals, who have consciously violated moral law, to those who are so far gone in evil they don't even know what morality is. To some extent, the Fairy seems to be a little bit in the first category. She does not seem evil in the same way Straik, Wither, and Feverstone are evil. She at least seem to retain a modicum of her humanity.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 17th, 2006, 4:19 am

Stanley and David - well said, both of you!!

One thing that I constantly notice in comments on Lewis here is resentment (dislike? fear?) of Lewis' belief that men and women have roles assigned by God (a specific purpose by the Creator for creating two different genders. This doesn't mean "better" or "worse"; "superior" or "inferior", only different). There is a confusion of equal rights and equal pay with equality of ability and same-ness. I don't see where Lewis expressed anything against the former, although he was emphatically against the latter, and not only in gender (Screwtape Proposes a Toast, and a hundred other examples). But the dislike of the ramifications of that belief reveal a demand for this equality and same-ness.

The other thing I pick up on is that writers ought to be able to express full and deep understanding of the opposite gender. This reveals an acknowledgement that men and women are fundamentally different. (Maybe Lewis was on to something...?)

This brings me to the idea of smorgasbord Christianity, where people pick and choose what they want to be true, rather than seeking Truth, some of which surely does not align with our desires. If I make "equality" my god and place it above (as more important than) that Truth, then obviously I am moving away from Truth. Too many people, in trying to find a faith that agrees with what they "want", fail to think about finding out what God really wants from us. For example, I'm Eastern Orthodox, and there are things that I don't "like' in Orthodoxy, but I find it is my fallen nature that wants things MY way that make me feel that. It is the Faith that is right and I that am wrong.

Christ didn't come to bring equality. He came to make salvation possible.
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » March 17th, 2006, 7:05 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy