This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Dark Tower

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Postby Theo » October 23rd, 2006, 6:58 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » October 24th, 2006, 3:14 am

"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Postby Mavramorn » October 24th, 2006, 8:03 pm

"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

Postby jo » October 28th, 2006, 4:36 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » October 29th, 2006, 6:25 am

I don't think they were awful, they were just not nearly (IMO) on an equal footing with the rest of Lewis' works and I assume that's why he didn't publish them, himself. I'm pleased to have the book and enjoyed reading it (and rereading it) but the works also gave me a rather unsatisfied feeling.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby jo » October 31st, 2006, 5:32 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » October 31st, 2006, 7:11 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » October 31st, 2006, 10:28 pm

Well Dark Tower doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth for one. :lol:

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby jo » November 2nd, 2006, 9:15 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » November 4th, 2006, 4:58 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » November 4th, 2006, 7:05 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » November 4th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » November 4th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Hey, honey is a frictive and, anyway, it's soooooooooo good.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » November 5th, 2006, 12:41 am

Dark Honeyed Tower. Mmmh... :toothy-grin:

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. U » November 5th, 2006, 3:50 am

I read The Dark Tower & etc. also some years ago, and later KL hypothesis. Looking back now, I think this particular book is a little like some of the massive amount of Tolkien novel fragments out there, including some of the early MSS of Lord of the Rings - they weren't published at all, or not until a lot of revision b/c the author recognized they weren't ready to be published. If CSL did write DT, he must have recognized it as not his best and dropped the project.

IMO one piece of evidence in support of his authorship might be the similarity to the novels of Charles Williams, his good friend. Some of those also really are creepy, although in a redeemed way as comprehensive novels. I haven't had a chance yet to read Shadowmancer, but Williams may have been the first to write gothic Christian novels. The characters in Williams books are a lot like the ones in DT, more academic and esoteric than most of Lewis' novel characters, and suddenly their research takes them places they didn't expect, often into very dark and threatening places.

If you've never read any of William's novels, you might like them. All Hallows Eve - about an AntiChrist figure - is one of the best, although I also found Descent into Hell and The Place of the Lion really stuck with me, there were things in both of them that Williams communicated to me that I've never forgotten and have become part of my "received wisdom" decades later.

I think Ministering Angels was published, in one of the pulp science fiction magazines of the 50s. My guess is CSL wanted to try his hand at that type of genre for fun as an author. I myself thought it was a clever premise, that he was getting at a truth about the real diversity of men's personalities. (I suspect it may have been B.J. - before Joy - she might have whacked him upside the head if he wrote it while she was his wife, since he didn't get the diversity of women's personalities down as well in the short story.)

Incidentally, I remember reading an interview or taped conversation that CSL was in, in which he mentioned several of his favorite SciFi authors at the time in American pulp sci fi mags - he mentioned both Poul Anderson and Cordwainer Smith, for example. I'd love to know more what he thought about Cordwainer Smith, who was an exceptionally brilliant man in multiple arenas of life. He went through a similar pilgrimage as CSL from agnosticism/atheism to Christian faith, and along the way produced some science fiction that is way out there, not quite like anybody elses!
Dr. U
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy