This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A criticism I heard recently of Merlin in THS

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

re: A criticism I heard recently of Merlin in THS

Postby VixenMage » May 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm

"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby Sir Linus the True » June 12th, 2006, 1:24 am

I also enjoyed Merlin, myself.

If I remember right, he's hinted at early on, but doesn't actually make an appearance till more than halfway through the book. That gave me as a reader plenty of time to get adjusted to the idea.

Also, Lewis calls the book "a modern fairy-tale for grown-ups," rather than a science-fiction book. So I expected some fantasy in it all along.
Sir Linus the True
Wardrobian

Postby David » June 13th, 2006, 10:43 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby westsands410 » June 14th, 2006, 6:06 pm

The plot to THS definitely benefits from Merlin's inclusion. NICE, in THS, is a branch of scientific experimentation directed by Satan/fallen angels (whichever you like) speaking through Alcasan's head, and the scientists at the core of the plot think that Merlin's fabled magical powers, if learned by them and put to their own use, could help NICE with their ultimate goal of transforming humanity. The point is that today's scientific community risks involvement in 'dark arts' (for the want of a better term) - such as the proliferation of parapsychologists (ghost hunters with some scientific background), and the association of police forces with psychic mediums (which has definitely occurred in the UK, if nowhere else).
westsands410
Wardrobian

Location: The beach, at Lat: 56° 22' 00" N Long: 2° 48' 30" W. Alternatively, Sussex.

Postby rumzy » April 4th, 2008, 7:29 am

rumzy
Wardrobian

Re: A criticism I heard recently of Merlin in THS

Postby The Pfifltrigg » April 5th, 2008, 9:44 am

False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Jill-at-the-Well » April 5th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.
Jill-at-the-Well
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy