This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Planets' Names

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Planets' Names

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » March 2nd, 2006, 1:23 am

I'm half way through Out of the Silent Planet and was wondering if we ever find out what the English names of the planets Perelandra and Malacandra are. It's not really important, I'm just curious. Malacandra could be Venus (I think it's gravity is less than Earth's), Mars, or Pluto, since Lewis ruled out Mercury because of the cool climate. It seems like Pluto would be too cold by the same logic. If the names aren't give flat out, which planets do you think they are? By the way, the book is great.
Then said Littleheart son of Bronweg: "Alas for Gondolin."
And no one in the Room of Logs spake or moved for a great while.
Pro published order! Poster of The Wardrobe's 40,000th post. That earns no merit, but I feel pretty cool about it anyway.
Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

re: Planets' Names

Postby Lara » March 2nd, 2006, 5:58 am

I was under the impression that Malacandra was Mars and Perelandra was Venus.
Lara
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 2nd, 2006, 6:40 am

Lara's right :pleased: I think....
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » March 2nd, 2006, 9:05 am

Not to spoil things, but the names of all but Pluto are given in That Hideous Strength, I believe.
:read:
Have patience, and keep reading.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 2nd, 2006, 1:49 pm

Awww...come on, L and MoE, would you give the ending away to someone who was only halfway through watching The Sixth Sense too? Not that big a deal I suppose, but it is a moment of discovery for Ransom (and the reader) later in the book.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: re: Planets' Names

Postby Bill » March 2nd, 2006, 10:29 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 2nd, 2006, 11:05 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » March 3rd, 2006, 1:32 am

Pro published order! Poster of The Wardrobe's 40,000th post. That earns no merit, but I feel pretty cool about it anyway.
Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 3rd, 2006, 1:58 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 3rd, 2006, 4:43 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » March 3rd, 2006, 4:54 pm

Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » March 4th, 2006, 2:35 am

My dad read them to us (he had four kids--- all now "grown") before any of us actually read them. So I knew what to expect, more or less, when I first picked them up myself a few years later.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby alliebath » June 1st, 2006, 9:04 pm

Gott würfelt nicht.
Albert Einstein
alliebath
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 1st, 2006, 9:37 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby alliebath » June 1st, 2006, 9:40 pm

Thank you, Stanley, I had missed that…

:cool:

Cosmography would be the mapping of the planets in the circles, centred upon earth—cosmology would be the explantions as to why they are like they are and what that means.

:??:
Gott würfelt nicht.
Albert Einstein
alliebath
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy