This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Does the quality of the science fiction bother people?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Does the quality of the science fiction bother people?

Postby jo » March 19th, 2006, 1:57 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

re: Does the quality of the science fiction bother people?

Postby Theo » March 19th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Lewis actually responded to this criticism himself, and cheerfully admitted that the "science" part of the books was mostly bollocks. In the essay, "In reply to Professor Haldane", an unfinished reply to Haldane's scathing review of That Hideous Strength, he starts out by admitting flatly that his science is bogus - but he also notes that this science is also fictional and part of an adventure story. He even gets in a nasty dig at Haldane himself, pointing out that some of his essays contain sweeping and inaccurate generalizations about history - (quoting from memory) "the difference being that my faulty science is part of a fictional book, while his faulty history is part of an essay intended to be believed".

The essay - it's reprinted in "In Other Words", if I remember correctly - is very interesting and gives a lot of insights into both the ideas and preoccupations of Lewis at the time of writing THS, but also into how he saw his books. For instance, he refers to the sci-fi trilogy as "light, holiday fiction" and (to me at least) appears slightly bemused that they are being taken so seriously, if only by a hostile critic.
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » March 19th, 2006, 4:52 pm

At some point all Science Fiction becomes outdayed.

To reiterate the Asimov theme from elsewhere, he himself (a scientist no less) wrote a series of books which had Venus as a habitable water planet.

So long as the science in an SF (note not Sci-Fi) novel isn't blatently riduclous by the standards which were then known, the main concern is the quality of the story.

venus Equilateral is a series of stories that centre around, would you beleive, valve technology.. vaccum tubes and the like. There's a lot of "techno-babble" in them which today for the most part is sort of.. "yawn.. how ridiculouse" (no Star Trek didn't invent the technobabble concept.. just over used it as plot get outs). BUT the stories are valid, the social ramifications of uncontrolled technology advanced for example as true today as they were then.

I think the same applies to The Space Trilogy. Having recently managed to speed through them.. yes I know sacrilige to read that way but constraints as usual... I found the science to be iffy.. but the stories to be valid.. and thats what counts

(That Hideous STrength for some reason I found to be somewhat eerie and prophetic)
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » March 19th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Anyone that would like to read Haldane's review of THS can do so at It's posted online at Wardrobian Arend Smilde's web site.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 20th, 2006, 7:29 am

It does not bother me one bit--I read it in context of an early 1900s technological idea and I find it delightful. It does not have to make sense--I'm not a rocket scientist. If it offers some reasonable answer to the problems they face, that is good enough for me. :read:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 20th, 2006, 10:58 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » March 20th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 20th, 2006, 2:51 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Does the quality of the science fiction bother peopl

Postby Monica » March 20th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 20th, 2006, 3:10 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » March 20th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Not really. Its the ideas behind the story that interest me, not the science.
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » March 20th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » March 20th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 20th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Last edited by Messenger_of_Eden on March 20th, 2006, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » March 20th, 2006, 7:54 pm

And we KNOW there is life on Venus; don't forget the Mekon and his Treens!!

Bill
Last edited by Bill on September 19th, 2008, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy