This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Rereading THS

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

re: Rereading THS

Postby jo » March 28th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Just come to an interesting passage so thought I would put it down before I forget:

(about the eldila): "It was in a different place, and approaching their knowledge from the other side that they had discovered the state of Merlin: not from inspection of the things that slept under Bragdon Wood but from observing a certain unique configuration in that place where those things remain that are taken off time's mainroad, behind the invisible hedges, into the unimaginable fields. Not all the times that are outside the present are therefore past or future."

Reminds me rather of the ideas behind The Dark Tower .. what do people think?
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Rereading THS

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 28th, 2006, 6:20 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 28th, 2006, 6:31 pm

It's very well done, if so :). There's lots of little references - to things like 'good brandy' etc - that appear in both and which have specially struck me, as I am reading both back to back.

I think I will start another thread about the forgery - I feel a bit guilty starting so many threads in here but what the hell, one more won't hurt I suppose - to get up a debate about it. Maybe with a nice poll.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » March 29th, 2006, 1:45 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 29th, 2006, 1:53 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » March 30th, 2006, 1:51 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » March 30th, 2006, 3:26 pm

That Hideous Strength is one of C. S. Lewis’s greatest novels but I didn't enjoy it very much the first four times I read until I saw that its five plots echo each other. Here is my plot diagram.

Let me know if you find it helpful.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Hnuff » March 30th, 2006, 7:00 pm

As a newcomer, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but re: THS--has anybody discovered Arend Smilde's site that provides sources for allusions and quotations in That Hideous Strength (as well as several other Lewis works)? It is:

http://www.solcon.nl/arendsmilde/cslewi ... quotes.htm

If, on the other hand, this is common knowledge amongst Wardrobians, please do not hoot and jeer, lest I become dismayed.
Hnuff
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 30th, 2006, 7:38 pm

I've never seen it but I know Arende Smilde posts here sometimes :)

jo
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 31st, 2006, 3:16 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 31st, 2006, 4:24 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » March 31st, 2006, 4:43 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 31st, 2006, 4:46 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 31st, 2006, 4:46 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » April 1st, 2006, 1:41 am

Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy