This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Did Lewis write THe Dark Tower?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Did Lewis write The Dark Tower?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes : 29

Did Lewis write THe Dark Tower?

Postby jo » March 28th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Take this with a pinch of salt cos I am not even close to being a Lewis scholar, but having read The Dark Tower I am inclined to believe that Lewis DID write it. Of course, that's not definite by a long shot and perhaps I should read Lindskoog's book, or at least find an outline of her major arguments - if anyone cared to set them down ;) - before commiting to an opinion. But it read like Lewis to me and there are little things, images and turns of phrase, which seemed very much Lewisian - some of which i have mentioned in the THS reread thread. Anyway, I'd love to know what people think and why.

BTW I am deliberately not including an I don't know option as I'd like people to come down on one side or the other ;)
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Re: Did Lewis write THe Dark Tower?

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 28th, 2006, 6:50 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Did Lewis write THe Dark Tower?

Postby jo » March 28th, 2006, 6:58 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 3rd, 2006, 3:57 pm

*waves and beams at Stan to attract his attention to above post*

jo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » April 3rd, 2006, 4:10 pm

I voted no. I've read Lindskoog's book C.S.Lews Hoax, and I accept her research and opinion. *shrug* I'm not really adamant about it either way.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 3rd, 2006, 4:12 pm

What's her evidence? I'd be really interested to hear it :). I mean - where did she come up with the idea that it wasn't written by Lewis? There must have been something that gave her that idea..

jo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » April 3rd, 2006, 4:16 pm

Here's her website.
It's been a few years since I've read Lewis Hoax, so I'm not going to try to give you a hodge-podge summary of a book that I half-remember. Sorry. :/
I do remember that when I read it, I was convinced by her arguments and outraged at Walter Hooper.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 3rd, 2006, 4:26 pm

Thanks, there's certainly an interesting article in there which answers one question I had - whether Hooper was still alive. Interesting that the Dark Tower is described as being regarded by most Lewis readers as 'simply awful;' I did not find it such myself. I actually found it rather gripping and engrossing and not stylistically THAT different to THS. That's just an unprofessional opinion though :D

jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Did Lewis write THe Dark Tower?

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 3rd, 2006, 4:44 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 3rd, 2006, 4:48 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby StrawberryRose » April 9th, 2006, 12:53 am

Is this Lindskoog saying that Lewis didn't right TDT only, or all of the other short stories published with it.
I think if they are willing to admit that he wrote the other short stories as well, then they are proof enough for me that he wrote TDT. I found them to be very alike in nature.
Did Lindskoog do a grammer/word count test?
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
StrawberryRose
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 9th, 2006, 11:09 am

I don't know .. would such a test necessarily show much though, given the gap of time between all of Lewis's works?

jo
Wardrobian

Postby kbrowne » April 9th, 2006, 12:42 pm

kbrowne
Wardrobian

re: Did Lewis write The Dark Tower?

Postby Marcus_P_Hagen » April 9th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Marcus_P_Hagen
Wardrobian

Postby StrawberryRose » April 10th, 2006, 3:40 am

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
StrawberryRose
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy