This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Devil's Advocate - similarities with THS

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

The Devil's Advocate - similarities with THS

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 1st, 2006, 8:07 pm

I wonder if anyone else has noticed similarities between the theme of THS and the movie The Devil's Advocate?
Instead of Mark Studdock we have a gifted lawyer, who is flattered when given the royal treatment and invited into "the inner ring" of a fancy New York law firm, not unlike what happens to Mark at NICE.
As in THS, there are ulterior motives for inviting him, motives having to do with his siring a certain child. In both cases the devil really runs the business.
As in THS, the young lawyer is overwhelmed by the temptations and consequently neglects his wife.
As in THS, he finally "sees the light" and turns on his temptors, and gets a second chance to do the right thing.
There I think the similarities end, but ever since seeing the movie I have wondered whether the scriptwriter had not read and been inspired by THS? Or is it just me?
Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

re: The Devil's Advocate - similarities with THS

Postby Sarah N. » May 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm

I've never seen the movie, but would you recommend it?
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 2nd, 2006, 2:01 am

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 2nd, 2006, 3:13 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Bengt-Ove » May 4th, 2006, 9:43 pm

Bengt-Ove
Bengt-Ove

Postby Theo » May 5th, 2006, 6:58 am

The Devil's Advocate is an interesting though flawed movie, but I don't like the ending either.

It was a little giggle-worthy that Pacino's character was named "John Milton", too. :)
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 20th, 2006, 4:34 pm

I started to watch it, but I never finished it. that was a long time ago, so I hardly remember it.

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » June 4th, 2006, 5:56 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 4th, 2006, 2:06 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy