This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

re: Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 28th, 2006, 4:24 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 28th, 2006, 6:46 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 28th, 2006, 7:14 am

Just a thought here--I don't know if I would say I believe it or not, but I have been mulling the idea over for a couple of weeks now.

Someone said this, and it caught my attention because of the way he said it--the specific terminology used clicked iin my imagination. He brings the timelessness of Heaven into the mix and says that God cast the fallen angels across the 'landscape of time'--time being one with the material universe--and so they fell together but entered our realm at different points.

I don't know if I believe that or not, but it is an intriguing thought. And excellently worded, Jerry :)

And I do know the Nephilim controversy--that is flatly denied by many and very compellingly taught by some. I tend to believe the traditional story--that the Sons of God were angels, and thus their offspring, the Nephilim, were abominations, having no natural place in this earth or in heaven. Some believe that they had so compromised the human bloodlines that this is what is meant when the Bible says that Noah was perfect in his generations--and that God had to erase the human race from the earth (except for Noah, Joan, their sons and their wives) to purge it of the Nephilim and all who had allied themselves with them.

Another intriguing thought is this (you can thanik Perry Stone for this): The Bible does not mention demons before the Flood, and not really for some time afterward. One school of thought is that the disembodied spirits of the Nephilim, having no place in Heaven (of course) wander(ed) the earth and became what the Bible began referring to as demons. The reason this makes some good sense is that the New Testament often addresses demons as 'unclean spirits', and a being born of a union between angels and humans would certainly fit in the unclean category, Biblically (this was flatly called an abomination in the Levitical laws). Also, consider that one of the most commonly reported activities of demons is the possession of human bodies--after thousands of years bound to the earth with no body, it makes sense that a being like this would seek to exploit humanity in order to resume his role on the earth...

Again, just some theories. I tend to like them, but I am no scholar. Maybe we will know one day for sure. Or, maybe it is part of another story to which we are not to be privy. :read:

OKAY GOODNIGHT DEAR WARDROBE :yawn:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 28th, 2006, 7:53 am

In Genesis 6, the Nephilim were not the offspring of the Sons of God. Their offspring were described as "heros of old, men of renown".

Some have proposed that Satan is not a demon. Is there any basis for that view? For, certainly, the serpent in Eden is identified, in the New Testament, as Satan and that places him on earth before the flood.

To give some credence to your theory, Messenger, there are entities that are around that are not fallen angels (though I've thought that they may have once been and simply deteriorated to their present state but I'm not at all satisfied with that conclusion. Perhaps there are various kinds of entities with different origins.) I've encountered at least one entity that said it was a demon and I have good reason to believe that it's not - despite the fact that I think it believes that it is. I've never had any direct dealings with Satan so I can't say for certain that he's particularly different from the demons I have encountered.

So it's certainly an open question.

Another question - if the demons of today are the "ghosts" of the Nephilim (or the offspring of angels) wo died during the flood - why would they not also be the ghosts of other peope who died during the flood or, even, the ghost of people who have died since the flood?
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 28th, 2006, 1:57 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 28th, 2006, 5:57 pm

But read Genesis 6. The Nephilim were not the offspring of the angels and humans. in your quote, it said, "There were giants (the Nephtilim) on the earth those days in those days, and also afterward" (notice very clearly it said "and also afterward") when the Soms of God came down and mated with human women they bore heros - men of renown. The word "Nepilim" is translated into "giants", not "heros". The giants were not the offspring of the Sons of God. Not only that but they also existed after the flood. Evidently, one (or more) of Noah's family was carrying the Giant's genes.

But if you're going to take the Bible as an authoritive source, you're going to have to shake the notion that the giants (Nephilim) were the offspring of the Sons of God. The Bible most definitely contradicts that. Frankly, I suspect that the offspring of the Sons of God were Neanderthal.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » May 28th, 2006, 7:27 pm

People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » May 29th, 2006, 8:01 am

I like the concept of the Lewis angels in that they are really worshipful and wise. I also like the Peretti angels because they give a good impression of spiritual warfare.

Im guessing that angels must look pretty scary, due to the fact that they are always telling people to "fear not."
"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Postby Monica » May 29th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 29th, 2006, 3:56 pm

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 30th, 2006, 4:34 am