This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Postby BeeLayne » May 26th, 2006, 3:07 pm

"We are armed with the truth. What can harm us if we are armed with the truth?"
"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

re: Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Postby A#minor » May 26th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I think perhaps the real thing is somewhere in between Lewis' and Perritti's versions of angels.
My favorite quote of Lewis' is where he says that when we die, we'll look about us at our guardian angels and they will be so familiar that we'll know them, we'll say "Oh, it was you all the time watching over me!"
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 27th, 2006, 1:19 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » May 27th, 2006, 2:19 am

I don't think I ever broke it down like that. They're both fiction (good fiction!) and I have wondered, when I read each, about the relation of the depictions to reality. But I don't think I read them close enough together to much compare the two. My guess is, they would be to each other sorta like Peretti's and to us something like Lewis' eldili and something like (has anyone else read this?) the "Platonic Manifestations" in Charles Williams' Place of the Lion. Almost completely other to us, in their natural form. Remember the creatures in Revelation with eyes all over? Did anyone else try as a kid to figure what seeing was like for them?
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » May 27th, 2006, 2:38 am

"Well, a crossbow bolt can, e.g., go right through your eye and out the back of your head."
BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis angels vs. Peretti angels

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 27th, 2006, 3:46 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 27th, 2006, 5:24 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 27th, 2006, 8:22 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 27th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 27th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Warrior, why do you believe that angels aren't fallible anymore?

Messanger, I have no issue with the idea yet, I just would like to know your basis for why you believe it.

I don't mean "ghost" either. I mean bodiless beings. I have some reason to believe that angels do have bodies (different from ours, certainly, but bodies none the less).
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 27th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » May 27th, 2006, 9:58 pm

I always liked the concept in Flatland, where a two-dimensional shape from a two-dimensional world was visited by sphere. He saw it, of course, as a circle, just a strange one that could change size (by moving through the two-dimensional plane). Later, the sphere took him to a three-dimensional space, and the shape (a square, I believe), saw the real sphere, but had a difficult time relating. When it was in front of his eyes, it made sense, but back in Flatland, it didn't make so much sense. Plus, he couldn't explain it to anyone else very well. A sphere is like many circles piled on top of each other, but in Flatland, piling circles on top of each other would give you a chain of circles, not a sphere.

Err...what was I saying? Oh, right! I think that when angels interact with us in our "plane", we see a human representation of them...the part of them that intersects with our world. When prophets saw, in vision, angels in their own "planes", it was really hard to describe. You end up with eyes all around, and wheels in wheels that are all turning.

Anyway, I recommend Flatland.
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby Allison » May 27th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Allison
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 28th, 2006, 1:36 am

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby BeeLayne » May 28th, 2006, 3:45 am

BeeLayne
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy