This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Just finished THS for the first time

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

THS

Postby RLSHAW » November 15th, 2006, 1:06 am

RLSHAW

Re: THS

Postby Monica » November 15th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

THS

Postby RLSHAW » November 16th, 2006, 1:19 am

I appreciate your comments, Monica and do agree with the clarifications and distinctions that you brought up.

Also, it is quite possible that I would benefit from a second reading.

My point is that while the end was dramatic, I was not just a little homesick having becomed accustomed to being let through "the wardrobe, into the REAL world" as Lewis indulged us in all of Narnia and the first two books of the trilogy. I guess I would like to see (for the benefit of my imagination as it is a constituent of my world view) what would have happened. The end of the world? I need more. Do Jane and Mark have a Perelandrical reunion and live happily ever after? The human dilemmas that Lewis hits upon in the personalities of the characters are so real- so easy to identify with. I realise the limitations of literature as well as the difference between allegory and fantasy. I have been so grateful for Lewis's writing, learning how to think and appreciate simplicity as a result of his work that I desire... direction. Of course that is not the only reason to read but it is a good reason. If I may contrast it with Return of the King theatrical production (I've not read the books), the conclusion was glorious! (And glorious is the word that best explains what I'm getting at.) Having conquered evil face to face, I could understand how the hobbits could live happily ever after, beit in seperate Lands, so to speak. THS didn't have a clear encounter with the evil face to face with the evil being a seperate entity- it only seemed to have gained control at N.I.C.E. and the "members" seemed to have been co-shepherds in leading the members, including themselves, off to slaughter.

Consideration and comment would be humbly appreciated.

Yours, warmly,

Lee
RLSHAW

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » November 16th, 2006, 7:42 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Re: THS

Postby Monica » November 16th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

About the relation of THF with The Abolition of man

Postby Friend » November 17th, 2006, 6:07 am

Friend
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » November 17th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Re: Just finished THS for the first time

Postby a_hnau » November 26th, 2006, 8:34 pm

One of the recurring mysteries that has been bouncing around the 'net for years, it seems, is where (if anywhere) the quotation is to be found that Jane reads in the book she picks up from the table at St. Anne's - "The beauty of the female is the root of joy to the male..." I've done a Google search on this - probably the last time I did this was at least a year ago - and someone has pointed towards a letter by Lewis of June 19th 1930 (Collected Letters volume 1) where he says 'The idea of female beauty is the erotic stimulus for women as well as men' and refers to Owen Barfield's novel 'English People' (which I don't have, so don't know verbatim what Barfield wrote). Does anyone have a copy? I might pick one up from ABE or somewhere, probably there will be a cheap reading copy around.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 27th, 2006, 2:37 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Just finished THS for the first time

Postby a_hnau » November 27th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » November 28th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » November 29th, 2006, 12:34 am

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 29th, 2006, 3:09 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » December 1st, 2006, 7:14 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 4th, 2006, 7:36 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy