This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Similarities in "A Wrinkle in Time"

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Similarities in "A Wrinkle in Time"

Postby Brian_Burgess » August 24th, 2006, 4:35 pm

I am just now wrapping up my first read of a "A Wrinkle in Time" and have been enjoying it very much.

In addition to it being a great story, I was amazed at the similarity to the themes articulated in the Space Trilogy, i.e. evil brain without a body, dark planets verses light planets.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the quartet and then maybe jumping back over to the Space Trilogy again.
Brian_Burgess
Wardrobian

re: Similarities in "A Wrinkle in Time"

Postby TarwathieI » August 24th, 2006, 4:53 pm

TarwathieI
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » August 24th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Well, they don't have to be exact similarities. It's just that the general ideas are similar.
I had never noticed those before, Brian. Thanks for pointing that out!
Do you think that L'Engle had read the Space Trilogy and stole a few ideas from Lewis?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby wingedllama » August 25th, 2006, 2:23 am

Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

Postby Brian_Burgess » August 25th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Brian_Burgess
Wardrobian

Postby David » August 26th, 2006, 4:50 pm

I'm sure she read and had to have been influenced to a degree by Lewis's writings. "Steal" is not the right word. If that were so, William Shakespeare would be the worst literary thief in history, because only one of the stories on which he based his plays is original (that was The Tempest). Umberto Eco, novelist and literary critic, once said, "All books speak of other books and every author tells a story that has already been told." This influence (or intertextuality as it is called in literary circles) admits that literature is a continuum and that when authors write they inevitably refer back to works by other authors. So it is, I think, with Lewis and L'Engle. There are definitely threads of influence and language from one artist to the other.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy