This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The "rind" of life...

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

The "rind" of life...

Postby VixenMage » September 12th, 2006, 2:29 am

So today, I finally managed to get ahold of our school library's copy of the Space Trilogy. Had to stay after and walk home to do so, but it was worth it. Anyway, I was reading through the part where Augray takes Ransom to Meldilorn, and started thinking.

Weston says, in his chaotic, insane, ramblings, that all men dwell on the 'skin' of things, never in the deeper parts; this is part of his analogy to life and death, and how life is just a thin rind on the top: soon, we sink into death, and the horrible things start. But in both Perelandra, and Malacandra, the hnau dwell not on the surface of their planets, but deeper down: In Malacandra, the hrossa live in the handramits; the pfifltriggi live in caves. In Perelandra, the bug-people live in caves; the mer-people live deep underwater. (I'm assuming both of these races are hnau.) Which got me thinking some more... maybe it's just our bent race, humanity, that believes that the surface is the only good part. After all, Hell is supposed to be down, Heaven high, right? Maybe our desperate fear of sinking below the rind is because that is where the Dark Eldila have taken up residence (at this point, I'd like to point out that Melkor also lived in the deep caverns, as did the Balrogs and Dragons.), deep in the earth. Is this what Weston's ravings reflected? That in our planet, for those who succumb to the dark influence of our own eldila, the rind is the only good part-- when we sink below, into the depths, we suffer a fate more horrible than anything we could've thought possible, at the hands of the dark eldila who inhabit those parts?

Because, as I said, in Malacandra, it seems like the place of living, like so many of our systems, is turned on its head: the surface of the planet is a terrible, inhospitable place-- Ransom describes his journey through it on Augray's shoulders as "... no longer dwelling in a world but crawling the surface of a strange planet." This is also the place in Malacandra where the Bent eldila's influence was most felt: it only had minimal effects among the hrossa and pfifltriggi. So... maybe our fear of the deeper parts, below the rind, is really a bent thing? Or is it irrational, brought on by the fact that Satan awaits us beneath the rind...?

Just wondering if anyone else agreed.

And my apologies if this topic has already been discussed to death...
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Re: The "rind" of life...

Postby Monica » September 12th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

re: The "rind" of life...

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 12th, 2006, 2:42 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: re: The "rind" of life...

Postby Monica » September 12th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

re: The "rind" of life...

Postby Theo » September 14th, 2006, 11:06 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Re: re: The "rind" of life...

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 14th, 2006, 1:54 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

The "rind" of life

Postby Dale Nelson » December 3rd, 2006, 7:42 pm

In a couple of brief papers published this year in CSL: The Bulletin of the New York C. S. Lewis Society, I've argued that traces of American "pulp magazine" science fiction appear to be evident in the space trilogy.

If you have access to a copy of Isaac Asimov's anthology Before the Golden Age, look up a story by Jack Williamson called "Born of the Sun." In this story, Earth and other planets are actually eggs. When the time comes for a world to hatch and the monster within stirs, cataclysms ensue, leading to total destruction when the creature emerges. I discuss this a little more fully in one of those papers.

If readers are surprised by the claim that Lewis did indeed read, and was influenced by, American pulp magazine SF, I'd refer them to my articles, where I present evidence. Joe Christopher has been working on a long paper on the topic that will appear eventually somewhere, I trust.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy