This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Weston & the Un-man

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Weston & the Un-man

Postby 42missy42 » February 13th, 2007, 7:39 pm

42missy42
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » February 13th, 2007, 9:46 pm

I think you mean the Oyarsa of Thulcandra (Earth). Each planet has an Oyarsa, and they are either just referred to as Oyarsa, or sometimes by the name of the planet they administer in trust for Maledil. (So the Fallen Oyarsa might be called Thulcandra).
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Cool

Postby 42missy42 » February 13th, 2007, 10:28 pm

42missy42
Wardrobian

Postby The Revanchist » December 10th, 2007, 6:38 am

I think Weston was sane. He seemed fully aware of what he was doing, saving perhaps the full nature of his request.

It is obvious that his demon possesion was not quite what he expected, but he seemed fully competant. After all, he DID fly his space ship to Perelandra, though he was obviously under satanic influence, otherwise, why travel to Perelandra at all? Why maroon yourself on another planet?
The Revanchist
Wardrobian

Re: Weston & the Un-man

Postby Azim » January 21st, 2009, 3:46 am

I don't think it is a question of sanity. I think Weston was more or less sane even after he had become possessed. However, I don't think Weston was even aware that he was possessed. (At least early on.)

In THS, it is revealed that Weston was in league with the proto-NICE. Howver, we also know that Alcasan was executed only shortly before the opening of THS, a good bit after Weston’s death. Therefore, the future members of the NICE were probably not in communication with the macrobes/evil eldils when Weston left to Perelandra, since they communicated with the macrobes through Alcasan’s head.

In my opinion, Weston was already firmly under the control of Thulucandra when he landed on Perelandra. This is why the first discussion he has with Ransom is the “unity” speech about how there is no difference between good and evil, which is simply a lead up to the false philosophies he tries to feed Tinidril. It seems to me that these are the words of Thulucandra, who is already in full control of Weston and is already trying to convince Tinidril into disobeying Maleldil.

There are only two only points at which I believe the true Weston may have come out. One is when Weston had a seizure on the fixed land, shortly after arriving on Perelandra, and said something about someone controlling him (I can’t remember exactly what he said). The other is when Ransom and Weston were floating together out at sea after the first half of their fight, and Weston told Ransom his theory about life being a tiny peel on the surface of a sphere of death and angry spirits. Although Ransom believed that this conversation may have been a ruse on the part of Thulucandra, I believe that Weston had actually broken free at this point. It would make sense that Weston would be afraid of death and spirits after his ordeals with Thulucandra.
Azim

Postby rusmeister » February 11th, 2009, 1:59 am

I don't agree with that assessment. There seems to be some confusion between "control" and choice. Before the possession, Weston had choice and was able to exercise his free will to be good or evil, and generally chose evil (self). After the possession, he lost that freedom and was truly "under control". Since "sane" means "healthy" (mentally healthy) we cannot say that the possession left him "sane". But we can say that he still had a self which could be aware of what was being done to his body.

It raises another interesting question: Could he could have been freed if someone had called upon Maleldil? (Although given that there was no Incarnation I suppose it's problematic.)
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Bulgakov » June 10th, 2009, 12:42 pm

I can't remember where it is, but there is an interesting passage where Ransom describes a joy no one on earth has ever had before: the joy of perfect hatred. This is assuming that the Un-man was a demon. So Ransom doesn't have to worry about hating a human, but gets to experience the holy joy of utterly hating a demon. and killing it.
Jacob
"Your revolver in your hand, a prayer on your lips, your mind fixed on Maleldil. Then, if he stands, conjure him.” “What shall I say in the Great Tongue?” “Say that you come in the name of God and all angels and in the power of the planets...." (That Hideous Strength)
Bulgakov

Postby rusmeister » June 10th, 2009, 4:35 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy