This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Bright Lights Under the Shadow of the Hideous Strength

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Bright Lights Under the Shadow of the Hideous Strength

Postby Dale Nelson » March 10th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Does it seem to others that the St. Anne's community, in That Hideous Strength, could inspire Christian people as something of a model?

A few years ago I wrote a paper that takes various elements of the St. Anne's community - - such as reading, silence, conversation, work and leisure, a sense of the beautiful, etc. - - and comments on them, and quotes - - relevantly or tangentially - - from other works by Lewis and from the writings of other authors. The paper is intended to encourage thought and discussion rather than to supply any blueprints.

The Western Confucian, a weblog maintained by Joshua Snyder, an American who teaches in South Korea, will begin serializing "Bright Lights Under the Shadow of the Hideous Strength" with its March 12, 2007, "issue." Whether or not my own comments are worthwhile, I'm confident that there are some great quotations there - - such as H. P. Liddon's comment on the divine origin of language. I hope some Wardrobians will check out the series.[/i]
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 13th, 2007, 1:04 am

Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 14th, 2007, 12:57 am

The series has begun running. I hope Lewisians will check it out and enjoy some of the quotations, at least!
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 14th, 2007, 3:36 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 14th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Thanks for checking out the series!

If you ask me, I'd say it would be nice if you could post a message such as this one that I'm replying to at The Western Confucian and at Into the Wardrobe. My guess is that some folks might respond to your comment at one or the other venue. But if you're not comfortable with cross-posting (if that's the right term), then I guess, FWIW, that I would prefer you posted at The Western Confucian, where people could see right off what it is that you're responding to.

As for "Mark" and "Jane" - - I'd like to respond briefly to your thought - - but I think I will wait to see if you wouldn't mind posting that comment at the Confucian.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 14th, 2007, 4:17 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 14th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 14th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Coming up soon in the "Bright Lights" series at The Western Confucian are columns on "Reading," "Silence and Conversation," and "Work and Leisure." Later installments will include thoughts on "Hierarchy" and "The Four Loves" as well as other topics. Please take a look!
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 15th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 15th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 15th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 15th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 16th, 2007, 5:01 pm

(and you can find another reply from me to the current "silence" installment)

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 19th, 2007, 3:49 pm

(I've posted a reply to the fifth installment)

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 22nd, 2007, 3:24 pm

(Dale - probably a bad place to mention this, but I tried posting comments to installment 8 and strange things happen. It wouldn't let me post, but then reposting says I've already posted a duplicate post there. But when I look into it nothing is there. Can you see if you see anything from me there. And if not, perhaps you could post my comments for me? Or maybe it will fix itself at some point and I can post then?)

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy