This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Which is your favourite of the ST?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

22%
37%
41%

Total votes : 54

Re: Which is your favourite of the ST?

Postby Mornche Geddick » December 28th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » December 28th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the information, Mornche :) (unusual name - may I ask the origin?)

I'm interested in what you said, and I think it is very relevant to considering the decreasing and increasing of a population. Could you point me towards further links so I can do more research?

I don't intend to get into a debate over this, although I realise I'm joining in on the tail-end of one. My point was only to provide a link to a Catholic viewpoint which I thought went through the various emotional and moral factors associated with using contraception in a kind of introductory, easy-to-understand fashion. I'm no expert on agricultural techniques, and I daresay Dr. Smith isn't either - I think her point is that we are able to sustain a growing population. There are techniques, there are resources - the key is managing them, just as you say. I think what she is saying is very relevant in terms of the content and message, although I'm sure there are areas to disagree on in terms of what kind of resources we can use in 2008/9 and beyond that.

Furthermore, the western world doesn't have the necessary birth rate for society to replace the elderly and retired in the workforce. Socially, we need more children. There's no getting around that fact. If you consider the vast amounts of wealth wasted in other areas by governments, I'm certain the wealth of the western world would manage to find ways to preserve, manage and develop new resources for the most important thing we can offer for the preservation of the human race - our children.

However, I'd be interested to know what you think of her other correlations - the emotional impact on marriages for example, or perhaps the consideration that contraception has contributed to a culture in which sex has been divorced from its emotional and physical impacts, which has contributed to an exponential increase in teenage pregnancy rate, abortion rate, STI rise, sexual coercion, women treated more as (the phrase is a cliché now!) sex objects.

Or - without this sounding like a 'call to arms' challenge - does the fact that you disagree with some of information on food resources render the consideration of all her other points invalid for you? This is what I'm getting from your post. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Or, in order to keep on topic: what about considering what Dr Smith says in the context of Jane Studdock and THS?
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » December 29th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 2nd, 2009, 1:34 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby AmyS. » March 10th, 2009, 5:47 am

Hello-
I am new to this forum, and well getting back on topic of the original thread, my favourite of the Space Trillogy by far is That Hidous Strength, with Out of the Silent Planet a close second place. :smile:
AmyS.

Postby Sven » March 10th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Welcome, Amy!
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

You might also enjoy...

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 10th, 2009, 7:23 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Brian » March 11th, 2009, 10:33 pm

I am a latecomer to Jo's question. Her question to me is like trying to choose between three amazing gems, each with its own unique qualities.

If I am forced to choose - I choose Perelandra for reasons also stated by Larry W and Kanakaberaka. I am still entranced by the concept of an unfallen world, (which when all Biblical prophecy is fulfilled, we will finally have the unfallen world God desired in the first place), the wonder of the floating islands as Lewis richly described them, and the present reality that sin can be resisted as it was in the form of the Green Lady and Ransom with Maleldil enabling both of them in different ways to resist the sin urged through Weston/Unman.

Unlike some who felt lost with Lewis' description of the worship of Maleldil by Tor, Tinidril, Malacandra, Perelandra and Ransom, I found in that sequence a 'lostness' of self without losing individual identity in worship of the only being worthy of true worship - "Blessed Be He!". I suspect this losing of oneself in true worship is part of what Lewis wanted to convey in a celebratory manner after passing the temptation by Unman. I also think Lewis was attempting to stretch the limits of the English language to convey the paradox of subtlety and sheer magnitude of Maleldil (Christ) as God Almighty.
In Christ alone,
Brian

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
Brian
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy