This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Which is your favourite of the ST?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

22%
37%
41%

Total votes : 54

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » June 19th, 2008, 6:03 am

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby kbrowne » June 19th, 2008, 3:12 pm

kbrowne
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » June 20th, 2008, 7:58 pm

cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 21st, 2008, 6:05 am

Last edited by rusmeister on June 23rd, 2008, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » June 21st, 2008, 11:52 am

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » June 21st, 2008, 4:11 pm

Last edited by Ben2747 on June 21st, 2008, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » June 21st, 2008, 4:35 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » June 27th, 2008, 8:28 pm

cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 28th, 2008, 4:12 am

One general comment -

Our views on sexuality (and everything else) are heavily influenced by the world. So a lot of what we say and even think tends to be based on ideas and rhetoric that have anti-Christian sources. We are all spiritually messed up, and when we come to the Church, repent and seek to turn our lives towards Christ, They can gradually cure us of these things, if we let Them. (I speak of the Orthodox Church, but other Churches that also believe in the physical presence of this Church may also chime in on this.)

Thus, we can gradually come to realize that things we thought were "OK" - because the world tells us so - are not really in line with God's plan for us, and may even be harmful to our relationships to each other, and to Him. This includes our attitudes towards the marital act and the meaning and expression of sexuality in general.

The obvious solution is to completely submit our individual wills (what WE want) to what the Church teaches from the Bible about God's intent for our lives, like good children do to their parents. We may not like what they tell us and want to assert our will. But we know that our Parents know best.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » June 28th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » June 28th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » June 29th, 2008, 10:11 pm

cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » July 1st, 2008, 11:13 am

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Re: Which is your favourite of the ST?

Postby Mornche Geddick » December 27th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Re: Which is your favourite of the ST?

Postby moogdroog » December 27th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Here is a transcript of a talk called 'Contraception, Why Not', if anyone is interested. I hope it goes some way in helping explain the seeming 'oddity' of the Church's position on contraception:

Edit: I don't think Ben is casting judgement on anyone here. If you disagree with someone's stance on something, it doesn't mean you are casting judgement on them. People get emotive about this issue because it usually strikes very close to home. It's the same with homosexuality, although I don't want to get into discussing that debate further - when a practising Catholic says 'actually, I disagree with homosexual sexual behaviours', then most listeners will get terribly offended and think that that Catholic is a) completely backwards and b) has something against gay/homosexual people. In the same way, saying 'I don't support contraception' gets the collective social gasp of a) you are completely backwards and b) you therefore must have something against people who contracept.

THS was also a 'springboard' for me in considering the morality of contraception. It was very, very difficult for me to consider the 'other side' of the story to contraception and contraceptive practices. I have grown up in a generation where not only contraception is supported and endorsed, but it is entirely the norm. I would venture to say the vast majority, even nearly all, of people contracepting are not doing it for health reasons, but for convenience. THS (written by an Anglican, and by someone who writes elsewhere that he doesn't want to talk about contraception) opened up the idea to me of how contraception can affect a marriage.

All I am saying is that I think it is good to consider both sides of debate in a non-judgemental way. Just because I don't agree with contraception, it doesn't mean I'm judging people who do agree with it. I'm aware of the many, well-argued and well-reasoned arguments for it. However, in western society, the reasons *why not* to contracept are hardly ever considered, or publicly talked about. I think if you *do* support contraception, then it's not a bad idea to understand some of the reasons why people don't. It doesn't mean you have to agree with them at all. Just means you contribute towards a greater understanding of other people, other beliefs and other ways of doing things, which can only help us act in more loving ways towards our neighbours.
moogdroog
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy