This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Which is your favourite of the ST?

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

22%
37%
41%

Total votes : 54

Which is your favourite of the ST?

Postby jo » June 10th, 2007, 6:56 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 10th, 2007, 7:56 pm

What? No "I haven't read any of them" option? :snooty:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 10th, 2007, 8:22 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » June 11th, 2007, 1:16 am

Perelandra is my favorite!!
"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » June 11th, 2007, 3:39 am

Perelandra; although I much enjoy OOTSP. THS, while enjoyable, is the least so of the three, for me.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » June 12th, 2007, 9:12 pm

That Hideous Strength

is my favourite.. but only just.

Perhaps its because I see things in the "real" world which mirror those of the book :shocked:
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Gabriel Syme » June 12th, 2007, 10:39 pm

My favourite is by far That Hideous Strenght, the most realistic of the three, even if this could sound paradoxical. I think I can say that I share the very same feeling expressed by Erekose.
I'd leave out only the inverted commas from what he wrote.

Bye,
Gabriel Syme

You will meet many foes, some open and some disguised; and you may find friends upon your way when you least look for it. (Elrond)
Gabriel Syme
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » June 14th, 2007, 3:45 am

Perelandra is my favorite of the three, though I also love That Hideous Strength. The sheer beauty of the prose thrills me and the whole premise of the story captures my imagination. Whenever I am thinking about Creation, the Fall, or just pondering over questions in my head, passages from this book always return to me. It has so influenced my thinking that if I am getting into a deep theological or philosophical discussion with a person, I usually end up asking, "Have you read Perelandra?" If they haven't, there is only so much that I can communicate to them about how I think, because I am not able to refer to events in the book for fear of spoiling it for them if they should choose to read it later. (Of course, this happens with other Lewis books as well. One memorable exchange went something like this:

Sarah, about to make a somewhat detailed reference to a passage in Prince Caspian : "Have you read Prince Caspian lately?"
Angie: ...
Sarah: "Ever???"

Oh well, such is life. :toothy-grin: She still teases me about that.)
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » June 14th, 2007, 9:25 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Gabriel Syme » June 14th, 2007, 11:30 pm

In our school, on a wall, there is a big writing, saying «I care». It is the untranslatable motto of the best among young Americans. It means: «I AM interested in it; it is dear to me». That's the exact opposite of the fascist motto, «I don't care». (Lorenzo Milani, priest. Lettera ai giudici; 1965)
Gabriel Syme
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » June 15th, 2007, 11:00 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » June 16th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Definitely THS. I do like Perelandra a lot, but since that's the only book of the trilogy I own, (and owned for years before I really realized how awesome it was, since I read it as a kid, not really thinking about the -meaning-), I've read it so many more times than either of the others, so THS still seems so fresh, and I'm still discovering so many little things in it every time I read it.

And THS is just... really close to home, which makes it a lot more vivid.
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » June 16th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » June 18th, 2007, 1:57 am

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby stshores24 » June 24th, 2007, 6:15 pm

OOTSP is the easiest of the series, in my opinion, to pick up and just enjoy. It's a joy from start to finish.

Perelandra...well, I always enjoy it, but the parts at the end ('rotating around the field of Arbol') completely lose me every time. I've read the book twice and still don't get it. :??:

THS...is a good book, and would be my favorite of the three if it wasn't just so darn long. It seems to take forever until things finally start turning around for the better. To me, it wasn't as depressing as The Last Battle, which I read a few months ago for the first time, but still...I'm not sure that I'll be listening to (the audiobook version of) THS again any time soon.
Stephen - http://www.stephenshores.org - stshores24@gmail.com
Administrator of the and forums
stshores24
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Space Trilogy