This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

THS as a film with a modern setting

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Postby UrendiMaleldil » August 21st, 2007, 8:24 pm

LynnMagdalenCollege, i am in complete agreement...
but i also confess to being against most book-to-film-adaptations. the recent pride and prejudice... LWW... LOTR... etc. you name it, i could do without.

the "worldview" held by the director really does matter... in my opinion. when i watched the appendices for the extended LOTR movies... hearing Fran (one of the co-writers of the script) say they believed they'd stayed true to the "spirit of tolkien" made me a little queasy. the love-sick drama... "will arwen leave him? should he keep his options open? eowyn's kind of a babe... etc." :wink: is non-existent in the book. someone already mentioned aragorn's apprehension in becoming king... and the butchering of faramir for the sake of plot... they even contemplated bringing arwen to helm's deep because... she so did not get enough screen time.

i won't fall into the "bash andrew adamson" temptation that is so over-powering... but i really have lost "faith" (that word is used figuratively only :toothy-grin: ) in hollywood's ability to remain faithful to the story. i think modernizing THS is only giving the director more room for his interpretation... and that it ought not be attempted.

this is my opinion only :tongue: . i am a self-proclaimed purist... and book snob... so naturally i am in no hurry for my favorite books to be adapted to film so others can be "entertained..." :blush:

also, KenWritez... perhaps it has been a while since you've actually seen the ten commandments... do you not remember the considerable liberties that were taken? i really encourage you to watch it again, after reading the book of exodus to really appreciate how much of the movie was fictional... embellished, etc. remember, it was labeled as "culturally significant..." but not authentic. not pertinent to the discussion... but as you used it as a primary example... i thought it appropriate to debunk it :toothy-grin:
If you were subjects of Maleldil, you would have peace.
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 21st, 2007, 10:03 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » August 22nd, 2007, 3:05 pm

haha. you're very right stanley. it is possible. but of course... upon conceding to that fact... i remember the lewis poem... "all things (e.g. a camel's journey through a needle's eye) are possible, it's true. but picture how the camel feels, squeezed out in one long bloody thread from tail to snout"

i know. i'm a ridiculous pessimist... and i don't presume for a moment that lewis intended for that poem to be used in such a defense... but... in my stubbornness, i will always maintain that in spite of it being possible.... it isn't necessary to turn books into film... permissible... but not beneficial :wink:

i spent some time trying to imagine it for myself... and though i had very little success... i admit that i'm no expert. so maybe... if that dreadful day does one day come... it won't be too horribly wretched. haha. that's my half-way attempt at optimism. :toothy-grin:
If you were subjects of Maleldil, you would have peace.
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy