This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Death's Head and the Sickly Child

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Death's Head and the Sickly Child

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 9th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Ok, quiz time and BR reference rolled up into one. Here is a link to a clip from Brideshead Revisited -- a wonderful scene, though I'm not sure how it translates if you don't already know the characters from the earlier episodes.

In any case, the quiz question is "Why did I put this clip into a thread on this Space Trilogy forum?". The portion of the title "Death's Head" suggests Alcasan's head certainly, but there is something else. Note that you'll have to watch the clip all the way to the very end to get the full connection. You may think halfway through that you've got it, and you probably will have, but there is a nice little additional bit in the voiceover at the end (and don't cheat -- watch the whole thing -- it's a great comedic scene in general. Makes me want to watch the entire show again!:-)

By the way, Karen-fount-of-all-trivia-knowledge-to-be-gained-from-internet-searches (or anyone else that might happen to know), where is the phrase "Death's Head and the Sickly Child" originally from (I'm guessing Waugh didn't make it up)?

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » January 10th, 2008, 1:27 am

I am, alas, unable to answer either of your questions. I did, however, find one of my favorite scenes in the series:
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » January 10th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 10th, 2008, 5:33 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy