This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Fairy

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: The Fairy

Postby Áthas » 10 Dec 2008, 16:57

Gosh, this thread made me laugh. I was just talking about that with someone today when we were having coffee. She (Mrs. P., the person I was having coffee with), read the Narnia books and also seems to have read quite a bit about C. S. Lewis. I told her about the trilogy and described the Fairy to her, especially the situation when she interrogates Jane and burns her with cigarettes (or is it the cheroot?). And - wait for it - Mrs. P. is a psychiatric doctor! I'm certain that from the perspective of a psychiatric doctor, there is a lot to say, not only about the Fairy. It might also be interesting to analyze how and where C. S. Lewis got the idea of creating such a character - not sure if it's only the whole fairy-tale thing.

I kind of imagined the Fairy to act out her sado-masochistic desires when interrogating Jane. Kind of funny that something like that comes from me because I'm absolutely against seeing sexuality behind every action, but somehow, it seems to fit.
To thine own self be true!!! (Shakespeare)
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » 10 Dec 2008, 16:59

PS: Somehow, the Fairy fascinates me too - although I wouldn't ever want our paths to cross if she was alive. maybe seeing her from a safe distance and watching her for a day would be interesting!
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby galion » 10 Dec 2008, 18:53

I'm absolutely against seeing sexuality behind every action,

As the man nearly said, sometimes a cheroot is just a cheroot.

Regarding where Lewis got the idea from: well, we know that he had a vivid imagination, especially in the sado-masocistic line, which is one reason why I regard "The Dark Tower" as more likely than not to be authentic, but still there were several real-life women around who would have provided at least a partial model (I named one at the beginning of this thread), and given that THS was published in 1943, if he'd waited a couple of years he'd have got plenty of material to show that in comparison the Fairy was ... a pussy-cat?
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » 10 Dec 2008, 19:16

galion wrote:I'm absolutely against seeing sexuality behind every action,

As the man nearly said, sometimes a cheroot is just a cheroot.

Regarding where Lewis got the idea from: well, we know that he had a vivid imagination, especially in the sado-masocistic line,

Oh really? I didn't know that. Although I have to admit that for a long time, I saw Lewis as the pure, innocent bachelor and I'm coming to the realization that this might not have been a very authentic imagination I had in mind. :snow-wink: Still, now I wish I knew more about psychology!
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby galion » 10 Dec 2008, 20:01

I should really have qualified that reference to sado-masochism. In his correspondence with his great friend Arthur Greeves (a gay Christian - it's not just North America in the 21st century) he admits to mild s-m fantasies - not uncommon for those who underwent an education in Britain's public (i.e. private) scholls at the time, where beating with a cane or a birch was a regular occurrence. But that's it. I don't think it was anything more than a very minor part of hos personality.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby galion » 10 Dec 2008, 20:02

Please excuse typos in above. :snow-cry:
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » 10 Dec 2008, 20:26

galion wrote:I should really have qualified that reference to sado-masochism. In his correspondence with his great friend Arthur Greeves (a gay Christian - it's not just North America in the 21st century) he admits to mild s-m fantasies - not uncommon for those who underwent an education in Britain's public (i.e. private) scholls at the time, where beating with a cane or a birch was a regular occurrence. But that's it. I don't think it was anything more than a very minor part of hos personality.

Well, I don't want to make anything major out of it and am far from saying Lewis must have been an SM-fetishist or something like that, but it's still interesting. Also didn't know that Arthur Greeves was gay.

My experience with writing stories is that whatever you write has been inspired by some part in your life, even though it may be just a minor part or just an incident. It's kind of interesting because characters like the Fairy don't really fit with the C. S. Lewis who is presented to most people (at least in Germany).

I also wonder what it was that attracted the Fairy to jane (in a very twisted way). Coming back to that situation where she interrogates Jane and burns her, it is pretty clear that the Fairy does that for her own pleasure, it's not of any use to anyone. So there must have been something about Jane even though in the beginning of the book, she seems like a kind of boring young woman who spends her days being unhappy an d full of self-pity.
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby galion » 10 Dec 2008, 22:29

I think that part of what attracted the Fairy about Jane was her (relative) innocence. The challenge of corrupting, or at least damaging, that innocence would stimulate somebody evil. And anyway, a lot of people (like the Fairy) just like hurting people. They get a kick out of it. They go to bed feeling warm and fulfilled.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby john » 10 Dec 2008, 22:38

galion wrote:Please excuse typos in above. :snow-cry:

We have an EDIT button for that, you know. :)
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby galion » 10 Dec 2008, 22:43

Sorry, guv - not yet used to new format. :snow-blush:
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » 10 Dec 2008, 22:52

john wrote:
galion wrote:Please excuse typos in above. :snow-cry:

We have an EDIT button for that, you know. :)

You know, I edit stuff all the time, but once, when I was more active here, someone actualy got angry at me for having edited something - and I'd edited it only because of the typos. That kind of made meinsecure about editing stuff! :snow-wink:
Galion, I guess you're right with both, Jane's innocence and getting a kick out of hurting someone - though the Fairy goes pretty far there. I mean, usually, it's stuff like bullying, not burning people with cigarettes. And the Fairy does enjoy it so much she's late for an appointment because she basically forgets everything in her pleasure of hurting Jane.
Hate to admit it, but the Fairy is a fascinating character! :snow-blush:
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby john » 10 Dec 2008, 23:07

galion wrote:Sorry, guv - not yet used to new format. :snow-blush:

You're not being chastised, mate. :snow-wink: The "edit" button was there in the previous forums, too, though.
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby galion » 10 Dec 2008, 23:17

Unfortunately, I've met some people who would if given the chance just start with cigarette burns (and dare I mention waterboarding?) and then go on to attaching electrodes to tender parts of the anatomy ...

John: Yes, but I'm old and easily get confused, especially since I drop in to various forums (fora??). In any case I did not take that as a rebuke - my apology was just for losing my way yet again ... where am I now? And who are you people? Where are my Wednesday tablets? :snow-wink:
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » 10 Dec 2008, 23:53

galion wrote:

Unfortunately, I've met some people who would if given the chance just start with cigarette burns (and dare I mention waterboarding?) and then go on to attaching electrodes to tender parts of the anatomy ...

Okay, but that goes more into the topic of torture, stuff that went on in the Iraq etc... don't really want to get into that now because that would start a huge debate. Suffincient to say I'm absolutely against it (to put it mildly), but that doesn't belong into this thread.
As for the Fairy, correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it seemed like she did it to... well... sorry, I usually don't tend to pretend things in sexual ways... but I think she did it because it was arousing (to her, i mean, most likely not to jane). There are only hints, but enough hints, from my point of view, like the whole way she did it and how she got carried away even though she soon realized she couldn't get anything out of Jane.
(I'm considering writing my final paper on "THS". Writing about the Fairy from a psychiatric point of view would be very interesting. I'd just need to search for some psychiatric disorder which might be fitting and could analyze it to death! :snow-laugh: )
I guess some of the fascination was also that Jane was a character whom I would have expected in one of Lewis' books, her husband Mark as well (love how he slowly becomes a victim of his vanity and his eagerness to belong to "the inner circle", it's a development you can see a million times in everyday-life!), Ransom as well (which doesn't mean I don't consider those characters to be interesting). The Fairy is totally different. I can't even see her as absolutely evil because she doesn't really seem to be interested in the ultimate purpose of the NICE and the Head. To her, it seems to be rather a game. She can curse at people without restrictions (remember the scene when the car breaks down and the driver gets the full load, or the way she deals with the other young women from the police), she can satisfy her SM-fantasies or whatever it is by inflicting burns on Jane and just needs to call it "interrogation" to make it seem alright. And she's the leader, she has power and she does have fun demonstrating that.
There is also the way she behaves towards Mark... kind of making fun of him, at the same time almoust seeming flirtatious and mocking his wife. She knows she has full control over him because he is so eager to be part of "the big thing" that he'll do almost anything and she plays with it.

Sorry, if I was writing an essay about this, it would be a lot more elaborate and the language would be better, but it's 01:00 am here and I'm kind of struggling to think straight.
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby galion » 11 Dec 2008, 00:29

I think you may be right on the sexual front, without going into any further detail :snow-rolleyes: . But that's at least partly what a lot of folk get out of torture, as well as the pleasure of dominating and humiliating - I'm in charge, and you are powerless to resist me. You are do0ing my will. See "Nineteen Eighty Four", which has some things in common with THS (just 5 years apart in publication dates).

1 a.m. in Germany? Heck, it's only 00:30 here in Britain - the night is young!! I'm really going for zzzzz
galion
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Trilogy