This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Of Other Worlds

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Of Other Worlds

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2004, 1:52 am

I finished it this morning. Whenever Lewis places his fingers on a typewriter's keys something wonderful results. If anything can be said of his short stories, it would be that I wish he had written hundreds more of them.

Re: Of Other Worlds

Postby larry gilman » August 11th, 2004, 6:28 pm

It is a superb, rich, diverse feast of a book. Have you by any chance read the essay by Haldane to which Lewis was replying in "Reply to Prof. Haldane"? It's available online from

http://www.solcon.nl/arendsmilde/cslewi ... /index.htm

I found it opened up my enjoyment of Lewis's counter-essay hugely to see what he was writing _against_.

Also, a little side-note: as far as I know, Lewis never typed. He wrote using a pen---letters, novels, everything. Scribbly, too.

Best wishes,

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » August 12th, 2004, 11:09 am

See C S Lewis at the BBC for a fascinating in-depth description of Lewis's use of paper, especially when it was short/rationed. I think you're correct - Lewis hand-wrote everything, and Warnie typed anything that required it?[/i]
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » August 12th, 2004, 4:37 pm

Apparently Lewis and machines were incompatible. He mentions in several of his letters that he does not type, and Douglas Gresham's book mentions that Lewis was totally inept with changing gears in an automobile.

My aunt and I had a "discussion" on whether or not Jack would have liked the computer. I contended that he would because it is a machine which is run more by the mind than by manual skills. (Of course, typing helps.)
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Lewis contra Machines

Postby larry gilman » August 12th, 2004, 6:11 pm

Yes, Lewis seems to have had a personal aversion to machines. In _Surprised by Joy_ he derides zippers (which he calls "slide fasteners") as compared to buttons. In a letter to a child inquirer dated 14 Dec. 1959, he advises: "Don't use a typewriter. The noise will destroy your sense of rhythm, which still needs years of training."

Not sure about Lewis's implicit theory of "rhythm" and its delicacy, here . . . Anhow, I _would_ be surprised if we somehow got Jack back out of the box and he turned out to like computers. I mean, the complexity---the humming---the total daily dependence on Giant Corporation A or Super-duper-giant Corporation M, not to mention the megamechanical power network and its associated coal stacks, nuclear reactor cores, and wilderness-flooding dams---crashed disks---floods of e-mail adding to his hellish burden of correspondence---aieeee!

L
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 14th, 2004, 1:25 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2004, 3:39 am

Return to The Space Trilogy