This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

With Regard To: OotSP - Chapter 4 Study

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

With Regard To: OotSP - Chapter 4 Study

Postby Hanraoi » January 26th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I am a recently registered Wardrobian, and I have been perusing the study and comments on OotSP. One of the comments included in the discussion section attracted my attention. It reads as follows:

"Secondly - The overwhelming Presence felt by Ransom.
My question is...why does Weston not feel this? Or if he does, why doesnt he react to it? If it is an overwhelming Presence, Weston should at least react to it - be that by a heightened sense of fear, an anxiety, or some other reaction towards this intrusion into his self-creation. Weston is so absolutely sure of his 'mission', that he requires no one else to contribute intellectually that mission, that an intrusion should, at least cause him to incorporate that Presence into his overall creation. Yet, we see no evidence of that incorporation, or even an acknowledgement that there is a Presence felt by anyone other than Ransom.

In Hope,

J_S "

Parts of some of the responses that followed discussed the question, and gave various suggestions. One bit of information was not mentioned, though, which seems important in considering the question, namely that the trip with Ransom was Weston's second trip. Perhaps, in the first trip, Weston had become inured to the Presence, and so reckoned it as just another item in the unexplained phenomena of space. Or, perhaps, being a devout humanist, he was far enough down the pathway followed by Wither in THS to be oblivious to any spiritual influences, and didn't even feel it. I'm not sure about Devine, but he also had been to Malacandra previously, and being a devout materialist, was incapable of admitting that there was anything beyond nature (the nature he knew).

Have any other Wardrobians thoughts on the question?

Hanraoi
Hanraoi

Re: With Regard To: OotSP - Chapter 4 Study

Postby FrotisG » January 28th, 2009, 8:27 am

With reguards to weston's apparent immunity to the feeling of the 'presence of space':
when asked, by ransom, Weston gives a strictly scientific response. He acknowledges the rays, then replys dryly: (not a direct quote) ”Why, of course! You see, (speaking to ransom) thats because on earth, our atmosphere protects/blocks us from 'harmful' rays...which we would otherwise have to put up with. But now that we float unprotected through space, with no atmosphere, one is burdened with having to 'suffer' them. It will soon pass, nothing to worry about”
So'i guess he [being the fiend he is] somehow represses the psychlogical effect and emotional benefits...he wont let them in/ his body is not a worthy vessel. That my best understanding, anyway!
its been awhile since ive read SilentPlanet, after thinking about all this, i think its time for another round.
peace
FrotisG

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 28th, 2009, 3:06 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 28th, 2009, 3:19 pm

(By the way, we have the entire DVD that that video comes from. There are lots of wonderful things on it and I'm using it to teach genetics to our son Gawain. Anyone that is interested can go to the site to find out about the DNA Interactive DVD and lots more.)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy