This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Transhumanist

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Transhumanist

Postby moogdroog » 24 Mar 2009, 19:03

The Transhuman society reminds me, to a surprising extent, of NICE: Wiki link

It is a movement supported by many scientists, particularly those working within scientific-medical areas of eugenics-based research:

Wiki article wrote:Transhumanism is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to improve human mental and physical characteristics and capacities. The movement regards aspects of the human condition, such as disability, suffering, disease, aging, and involuntary death as unnecessary and undesirable. Transhumanists look to biotechnologies and other emerging technologies for these purposes. Dangers, as well as benefits, are also of concern to the transhumanist movement.

The term "transhumanism" is symbolized by H+ or h+ and is often used as a synonym for "human enhancement". Although the first known use of the term dates from 1957, the contemporary meaning is a product of the 1980s when futurists in the United States began to organize what has since grown into the transhumanist movement. Transhumanist thinkers predict that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman". Transhumanism is therefore sometimes referred to as "posthumanism" or a form of transformational activism influenced by posthumanist ideals.

Any thoughts?
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Re: Transhumanist

Postby archenland_knight » 24 Mar 2009, 19:25

As a software developer by developer by trade, I'm all for advancing technology. And the potential shown by the advances in prosthetics are amazing. I sincerely believe, that should Christ's return be delayed much longer, the day will come when we will have people wishing to remove perfectly healthy body parts to have them replaced with superior mechanical replacements. We are very close already.

Pretty soon, the only thing unrealistic about the "Six Million Dollar Man" will be the price tag ... it won't cost anywhere near $6,000,000.00.

However, mechanical replacements are one thing. When you start messing around with the human genome trying to produce a genuinely mentally superior species ... a "superior race", or "master race" ... well, the pitfalls should be painfully obvious.

I also can't help thinking that if one takes this sort of thing too far, Genesis 11:1 - 9 is going to be replayed all over again.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 24 Mar 2009, 22:18

moogdroog wrote:
Wiki article wrote:The term "transhumanism" is symbolized by H+ or h+ and is often used as a synonym for "human enhancement".

Any thoughts?

If they start referring cryptically to a significant milestone in their activities as a the acronym for "Human Enhancement Advancement Device", I'll start looking for communal groups living on top of hills governed by lame leaders :smile: .

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » 28 Mar 2009, 02:36

Eugenics, by any other name...

eugenics Look up eugenics at Dictionary.com
1883, coined by Eng. scientist Francis Galton (1822-1911) on analogy of ethics, physics, etc. from Gk. eugenes "well-born, of good stock," from eu- "good" + genos "birth" (see genus).

"The investigation of human eugenics, that is, of the conditions under which men of a high type are produced." [Galton, "Human Faculty," 1883]
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sea ... hmode=none

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics (Always be careful on trusting what you read on wikipedia!) But it's interesting to note that one of its more recent names (euphemisms) has been "social biology".

And, being the greatest work on the topic:
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/Eugenics.html

The trouble is identifying the new names by which they call it.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister

Postby a_hnau » 28 Mar 2009, 07:54

Presume one or two folk here may have seen the series (think it's the BBC) on Darwin, commemorating his bicentenary? One program followed Darwin's ideas through the application of eugenics in the United States and on into Hitler's Germany. Personally I think we already have eugenics firmly in place in assisted-fertility treatments, and it will only get more obvious as techniques advance.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » 01 Apr 2009, 16:54

Interesting thoughts! I wholly agree with you, Archenland_Knight. And thanks for the Chesterton article, Rusmeister. I heard that at the University of Edinburgh, the "social biology" department (research into eugenic projects) is called the Department of Life! And the clocks struck 13...

Stanley Anderson wrote:
If they start referring cryptically to a significant milestone in their activities as a the acronym for "Human Enhancement Advancement Device", I'll start looking for communal groups living on top of hills governed by lame leaders :smile: .

--Stanley

Heh. Living in a commune wouldn't be so bad. Think of all the smocks to wear. And the tambourines! And the inevitable whir of inward social collapse. It sounds quite a fun idea to me :)

a_hnau wrote: Presume one or two folk here may have seen the series (think it's the BBC) on Darwin, commemorating his bicentenary? One program followed Darwin's ideas through the application of eugenics in the United States and on into Hitler's Germany. Personally I think we already have eugenics firmly in place in assisted-fertility treatments, and it will only get more obvious as techniques advance.

I didn't see those programmes, but I was aware of Darwin's eugenics ideas. Many scientists, philosophers, writers etc, before Nazi Germany made 'eugenics' a dirty word, were very interested in eugenics, and the development of a physically superior race, including H.G. Wells and Marie Stopes. I agree with what you say about assisted-fertility treatments too. I think pre-natal testing with the direct aim of seeking out disabled or possibly disabled foetuses for abortion is a form of eugenics, i.e., we are selecting the foetuses with the "better" genes to be carried to term, and so participate in our society. What kind of message does that send out to disabled people within our society? Naturally I am not against pre-natal testing at all, but I think it can all too easily be directed towards the use of *cough* "social biology".

I raised the subject because there's something in the transhumanist idea that is (perhaps a little perversely) very appealing to me. I love explorations of transhumans, A.I., etc in media and fiction. And I am a sucker for any computer game or program that imitates or has a form of A.I. - I don't play PC computer games so much now, but I used to love Fin-Fin, Creatures, Sim Life, etc. Those kind of things are fascinating!

I just find it very sinister - not even from a religious perspective - when the transhumanist ideas are applied to real life - the genetic manufacturing of a 'super-race'. Has anyone seen Gattaca, or The Fountain?
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » 04 Oct 2009, 16:09

Well, I can only say, I'm a scientist and I've never heard of them.
Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Return to The Space Trilogy