This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

That Hideous Strength - Artwork

Open the pod bay doors, Hnau!

Re: That Hideous Strength - Artwork

Postby jo » December 19th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I've got a mix and match set :)

Colleen - I do not know what ultimately I think should have been done with Wither and Frost. I realise that the circumstances were out of the ordinary but nonetheless, arbitrary assassination without benefit of trial - even if done by an animal or animals - does bother me somewhat :(
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » December 20th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby jo » December 23rd, 2009, 1:10 am

Hi and nice to make your acquaintance :)

This is something that I have struggled with for years (though I am an agnostic, not a Christian). One the one hand I find the concept of killing another human being, in any context (war, capital punishment, disturbed burglar etc) to be abhorrent. On the other hand, I know enough of history - and especially the history of the 20th century - to know that sometimes, saying 'well killing is wrong so we should just never do it', whilst it might sound laudable, doesn't REALLY work in practical terms. And yes, Lewis was a veteran of WWI and someone who witnessed WWII, with all the horror that came with that. I am not trying to condemn him personally for the actions that his characters take but merely to say that to me, with the sensiblities that come with my generation (70s child), it is difficult to understand, still less justify, killing a human being without so much as a trial.

(Incidentally this is something that has occasionally bothered me in both the CoN and Tolkien's books, though I am a huge fan of both).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » December 23rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Oh, that's right! It's nice to make your acquaintence as well, Jo. I had read a few of your old posts before you returned. I guess I felt like I knew you already! :snow-laugh:

Messageboards are funny that way. If you read old posts from someone who stopped popping in before you ever started, you get to think of them as online-friends just like all the other posters. Then they show up again and say, "Nice to meet you" ... and you're thinking, "Don't you KNOW me?!"

Anyway, I think you've got a good head on your shoulders about things. You are repulsed by the thought of taking a human life, but at the same time you recognize that there are times when it may be absolutely necessary. That's the sort of balance that keeps one from going too far to one extreme or the other.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Theophilus » December 23rd, 2009, 5:26 pm

Theophilus
Wardrobian

Postby RamandusDaughter » December 27th, 2009, 11:57 pm

Thank you all for discussing this subject. After college, my son plans to serve in the military, and I need ways to think about his future life as a soldier. We often talk of the decisions made in the heat of the battle. But we don't come to satisfying conclusions. Perhaps your comments will help me. :snow-smile:
Additionally, I have been perusing The Quotable Lewis for help on grief, death, and war, as I've (unbelievably) lost two close family members in the last year. But having found this forum gives me hope that you are there-- people who ponder these things intelligently and with compassion.
Happy New Year to you all :snowflake:
RamandusDaughter

Location: California (yes, we CAN think, believe, and worship God here too)

Postby jo » December 28th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Hello and welcome :)

I am distinctly uneasy about the idea that it's 'okay' for God to kill without trial, not least because such a line of thought is open to a great deal of abuse in many ways. Remember also that there were people at that banquet who might well have had nothing to do with the NICE ... journalists, for instance. Also, despite the fact that the end of the novel makes it clear that many people did escape Edgestow I am still not happy at the wholesale slaughter that took place there - it reminds me too much of the end of The Last Battle (in which I think Lewis really did 'overdo' things).

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » December 29th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Yes, the climax of THS is a bit Old Testament...rather seen them prosecuted in a court of law like some episode of Law and Order.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Theophilus » January 2nd, 2010, 4:11 pm

Theophilus
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Space Trilogy