This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

CS Lewis on patriotism

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

CS Lewis on patriotism

Postby ladysherlockian » April 27th, 2010, 8:42 am

I wonder if CS Lewis wrote anything about patriotism. This is still a very vivid and sometimes controversial issue in my country, and I would like to know what Lewis thought about it. Many people say that patriotism is something positive, but I still have my doubts. It would be good to know Jack's opinion. To be honest, his book Till We Have Faces, which I read just this year, was a breakthrough in my thinking about what true love is, in contrast to what I imagined to be love prior to reading this book. So I think that his advice about patriotism will be very precious. I would love to read some key quotations. Thank you in advance.
ladysherlockian
Wardrobian

Re: CS Lewis on patriotism

Postby Sven » April 27th, 2010, 8:01 pm

There's quite a bit in the second chapter of The Four Loves, the one titled Likings and Loves for the Sub-Human. A tiny bit more in The Screwtape Letters, numbers 5 and 7.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: CS Lewis on patriotism

Postby Nerd42 » April 27th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works