This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis' thoughts on other major religions?

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Abraham Lincoln speaks out against Protestantism

Postby rusmeister » May 22nd, 2010, 3:18 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Lewis' thoughts on other major religions?

Postby Matthew Whaley » May 23rd, 2010, 7:32 pm

I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. I see today much more cooperation and mutual encouragement between denomintions that I would not have thought possible 30 years ago; even between Protestant and Catholics. Even the controversy over gay clergy has brought together, not divided the various Christian denominations and church bodies. In other countries besides the US it may be different, though.
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 24th, 2010, 2:58 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » May 24th, 2010, 4:14 am

I was thinking more in the community where I have lived in the last 30 years and where I grew up. It seemed to me that every church and denomination were in competition with each other. I don't see that anymore; instead there is mutual respect in spite of different worship styles and minor differences in doctrine. I apologize for using that euphenism and I admit that my perspective is telescoped.

Abraham Lincoln was proved right; during the Civil War, Georgia threatened to secede from the Confederacy. Some of the other southern states also had misgivings about how much power the central government in Richmond had been given.

Do you recommend any books and authors on early Church history?
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby wondawomen » May 24th, 2010, 12:50 pm

What a wonderful discussion. As a very young Christian in the 1950s, the battle between Protestant and Catholic was still raging in my small town. Both preached from the pulpet that the other was wrong. I knew that was wrong even then. While attending Concordia and finding Mere Christianity as a required reading, I became an instant CS Lewis fan. The different rooms in the hall section has solidified my belief that God is far wiser then we. We try to wrap our understanding around a small god by limiting who He chooses to be part of His church.
We love, because He first loved us.1John4:19 NASB
wondawomen
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 24th, 2010, 4:06 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 24th, 2010, 4:14 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Theophilus » May 24th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Cooperation between different churches or denominations can be good or bad depending on what issues they disagree on. Jude said in verse 3, "I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." If a church teaches or practices something that is clearly contrary to the Bible we must oppose them and warn others of their false teaching. Disputes between churches are only wrong if they concern something that isn't an essential part of Christian teaching. Romans 14:1-12 shows that there are some differences that aren't important enough to cause divisions.
Theophilus
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » May 24th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 25th, 2010, 3:06 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 25th, 2010, 3:22 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » May 25th, 2010, 1:52 pm

This whole "The EOC is the True Church That Christ Began" debate has been waged over and over again here. Poor Matthew wasn't around back before the "Religion, Science, & Philosophy" thread was alive, so he didn't get experience that.

Anyway, am I the only person whose feelings about his topic are depicted by this image?
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » May 25th, 2010, 2:59 pm

:lol: I love that image! I was very fortunate when I became a believer in Christ more than 30 years ago. I became involved in a para-church organization that had me studying, memorizing, and teaching the Bible for about 10 years. Though anyone can twist the meaning of any scripture, (look at Satan and how he tempted Jesus) the truth is unmistakeable. If anyone is honest and wants to know what the Bible really says, he or she can interpret scripture for themselves with the aid of the Holy Spirit acting upon their conscience. The Church has no borders just a He said;" ...where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am with them."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby maralewisfan » May 25th, 2010, 3:53 pm

I am currently in a World Religions class, part of the requirement in my college, and have also been curious about Lewis' views on some of the other religions (if any). Unfortunately, in my opinion, the text required has far too much Eastern (Asian religious) influence by the author. When discussing Christianity, quotes by gurus that practice Sikhism are not really relevant IMO. Anyway, if someone knows of a good book that addresses the original issue of Lewis' opinions of some of the other religions I would appreciate a link or title.
maralewisfan

Postby Theophilus » May 25th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Theophilus
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Apologetics & Other Works