This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question Concerning "The Problem of Pain"

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Question Concerning "The Problem of Pain"

Postby JDMalament » May 10th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Re: Question Concerning "The Problem of Pain"

Postby Nerd42 » May 10th, 2010, 8:11 pm

I assumed Huxley was Aldous Huxley. No idea if my assumption was correct or not. As for the other two, no idea, but Aldous Huxley seemed like the obvious answer to the third one to me.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » May 10th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby JDMalament » May 10th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Thanks guys! I was leaning towards A.E. Housman, but as Sven said, you can't know for sure. As for the Huxley's, Aldous was certainly my first guess, but I discovered that the other two were particularly well known for their atheism and T.H. Huxley's nickname was "Darwin's bulldog."

- Jared

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby JDMalament » May 11th, 2010, 9:38 pm

JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 12th, 2010, 1:49 am

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby agingjb » June 4th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Aldous Huxley's "The Perennial Philosophy" doesn't suggest that he was an atheist, although I doubt if CSL would have found it to be more than an interesting anthology. But that book was written after "The Problem of Pain". It could be of course, however unlikely it may seem, that Aldous Huxley's publicly expressed views changed from atheism to a sort of theism over time.

More relevantly, the use of "Mr Huxley" rather than "Huxley" does imply a reference to a writer living at the time of writing (1940), which would exclude Thomas Huxley.
agingjb
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works