This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Letters to Children

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Letters to Children

Postby senotsidnar » November 11th, 2004, 3:28 am

Hello! I am fairly new to the forums, and this is my first offical post. I was at my parent's house the other day and my father (a huge Lewis fan) had on his shelf a book entitled C.S. Lewis: Letters to Children that was edited by Lyle W. Dorsett and Marjorie Lamp Mead. It's a compilation of letters that Lewis wrote to children from 1944 to the day before he died in 1963. I am reading it and enjoying it, and I just wondered if any of you had heard of it and/or read it. What do you think?
senotsidnar
Wardrobian

Re: Letters to Children

Postby Sven » November 11th, 2004, 1:14 pm

It is a nice book, isn't it? Nice to see someone so busy taking so much time and care to write to children. I found the most noteworthy letters to be two of the ones to Laurence K__, the ones dated 6 May 1955 (why Laurence doesn't have to worry about loving Aslan more than Jesus) and 23 April 1957 (about the reading sequence for the Narniad).

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby loeee » November 11th, 2004, 7:07 pm

Yes, I have that one too. I enjoy reading through it. Even though Lewis claimed he didn't have any afinity to children, he seems to me to have been very kind and understanding of childish cares and concerns. He never forgot what it was like to be a child.
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby senotsidnar » November 12th, 2004, 1:30 am

senotsidnar
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2005, 1:59 am

Return to Apologetics & Other Works