This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

a question about "Reflections on the Psalms"

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

a question about "Reflections on the Psalms"

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2005, 2:08 am

In the book, Lewis writes.....

"We are taught that the Incarnation itself proceeded "not by the conversion of the godhead into flesh, but the taking of (the) manhood into God"; in it human life becomes a vehicle of Divine life. If the Scriptures proceed not by conversion of God's word into a literature but by taking up of a literature to be the vehicle of God's word, this is not anomalous." "C.S.Lewis-Reflections on the Psalms pg 116.

I'm curious where he got the idea that the Incarnation proceeded from manhood into God....instead of the other way around. I've always thought of it as the other way around. Is this Scriptural ? What are your thoughts on the matter ?

Re: a question about "Reflections on the Psalms"

Postby magpie » February 25th, 2005, 3:46 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 25th, 2005, 8:54 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 5:38 am

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I think we are in agreement on the Incarnation being the event by which God "entered" or "assumed" humanity. In otherwords, "the conversion of the Godhead into flesh."

However I would think that in keeping with Lewis's analogy of Christ as a diver who plunges into the depths to get underneath us and brings us to the surface....wouldn't that be better described by the event of Christ having "descended first into the lower parts of the earth ? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above the heavens, that he might fill all things." Ephesians 4:9-10.

The only sense that I can make out of the Athanasian Creed saying of the Incarnation that Christ is.......

" One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh but by taking of the Manhood into God"

.......is that perhaps they are speaking of the whole work of Christ (including his death, burrial and resurrection). Otherwise I don't understand why it's worded this way. Do you ?

Further more, which Manhood are they speaking of ? Christs Manhood, or all of mankind ? If it is speaking of Christs Manhood, as it appears to me to be saying, then it surely is speaking of the Incarnation (God taking on the form of a Man).

Cole
Last edited by Guest on March 3rd, 2005, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moved to Apologetics *NM*

Postby Sven » March 3rd, 2005, 8:25 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2005, 7:33 pm

Postby Ian » July 20th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Ian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works