This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2005, 12:13 am

Postby Stylteralmaldo » July 11th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Thanks Vicki!

Now I am starting to wonder if the people "on the bus" in the Great Divorce were either in Purgatory (already saved) or in Limbo (already damned).....but that they didn't recognize it yet.
...[God] uses material things like bread and wine to put new life into us. We may think that rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it. - CS Lewis...Mere Christianity
Stylteralmaldo
Wardrobian

re: Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Postby Tony » September 29th, 2005, 10:09 pm

"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » September 30th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Salvation after death? Then all shall be saved, for only an imbecile would reject God when it no longer takes faith to accept Him.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Re: re: Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Postby Karen » September 30th, 2005, 3:46 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » October 1st, 2005, 3:15 am

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » October 17th, 2005, 2:11 am

Just to clarify the official Church (Roman Catholic) teaching on purgatory and salvation after death: ahem...

Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1030:
"All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness neccesary to enter the joy of heaven."

Death is the moment that determines your destiny, which is why it is so important to pray for a good death, even though it sounds sort of morbid.

Sarah
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Tony » October 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm

I think Lewis held these beliefs, yes.

I don't think it's too late at all for those who die not having pledged faith to God, in Christ. Fundamentalists are the ones who limit the reach of the Christian faith.

I am not going beyond scripture or adding anything. I look at scripture, and God promises through the prophet Isaiah that "all humanity will see God's salvation." God does not break his promises. Jesus promised to return and fully inaugurate the Kingdom of God.

I believe in God's Kingdom and that when it arrives on Earth, that is, when Jesus returns, and all the dead are raised, those who are good of heart and have not believed will see and know God's salvation. All humanity, all who have ever lived and ever died, and who lived according the Jesus' way, love, compassion, understanding, sacrifice, they will all see the Kingdom. God will recover them all.

As John writes in Revelation 20:12-13
"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and the earth gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done."

Our Lord's mercy is such that those who live in accordance with the Gospel, although not a part of Christ's church, will know salvation at the End.
"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » July 13th, 2006, 10:53 pm

I dont think Emeth is really being saved after death. i think he was following Aslan with out knowing it. It is similar to the famous Shakeasparian quote, "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet", or in this case the opposite of the quote. Aslan tells Emeth that you have always served me, and which he did, but he thought he was serving a diferent god. I had this same question when i first red that part of LB. I think Emeths case the question should rather be phrased like this. Does CS Lewis think that people that never hear the name of god can be saved. I specifically mean the name of God as Jesus, IMO i think it is intirely likely that some indigenous person who never hearing the name of God, can see the nature around him and come to a conclusion of god, but he might know it on a very small level of understanding. Nontheless i think it is worthy of being saved for. Remeber that a lot of harm was done in the name of Jesus, it dosnt mean that it had any thing to do with true belivers.
Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » July 17th, 2006, 5:46 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby rusmeister » July 19th, 2006, 6:39 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » July 19th, 2006, 6:44 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » July 19th, 2006, 11:01 pm

Dead Atheist: Good grief. Who are you?

God: I'm God.

Dead Atheist: Well, I'm afraid I find that claim unconvincing.

God: (lifts him up and holds him over the lake of fire.) Unconvincing?

Dead Atheist: (nervous laughter) Ok. Right. Sure. I think we can talk...
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Jservic2 » July 19th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » July 20th, 2006, 12:04 am

Hi Jservic,

I don't think God can prove himself, and that's not the point I was trying to make.

In my view, even the threat of Hell presents a very good reason for repenting. Spending a day or so there will change the mind of many a sinner. To say that God would then ignore their cries for mercy is simply monstrous.

We all willing remain in our own private Hells for one reason and another, for one time or another. Hitler grovelling in his bunker was too proud to surrender. But God hadn't finished with him, yet.

AllanS

PreviousNext

Return to Apologetics & Other Works