This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Postby Theo » July 20th, 2006, 6:38 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

re: Salvation possible after death according to Lewis?

Postby David » July 20th, 2006, 12:25 pm

The idea of some sort of salvation being possible after death is related, I think, to C. S. Lewis's idea of time. At the very end of The Great Divorce the narrator mentions something related to Calvinism and predestination. Macdonald rebukes him by saying that this implies God is confined to time (sorry, don't have my copy of The Great Divorce here--will find the quote later). This is very sigificant.

God sees all points of time existing at once. What we define as time really does not exist for God. We think of death as being a demarcation point, but is this necessarily true? It is not so from the Divine perspective.

So I think for Lewis, such a thing as a person coming to faith, or to full faith, after death would be possible because of his idea of time as having no limits for God.

This, also, Theo, is, at least to me, one of the chief errors of Calvinism. Besides making God an "unreasonable tyrant," as one British theologian put it, Calvinism assumes that God is in time--that at a point in time he chose some for salvation, some for hell. But time does not exist for God. He sees every point in time as a present moment so it is impossible for him to make a decision at a given point in time. There are no points in time for God. I will find the quote in the The Great Divorce and post it. This is exactly what Macdonald is getting at in that section of the book.

Protestants sometimes use the term "eternity past" to talk about God's foreknowledge, etc. But "eternity past" is a tautology. With eternity there is no past or present, only the continuum of time that God sees as constant. This notion of time had a lot of influence on Lewis's thinking about the afterlife.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » July 22nd, 2006, 5:01 am

God has warned humanity about hell in the Bible but that doesn't mean that anyone has been there (or the fiery hell, anyway). Revelation is plaon that the first people in the lake of fire will be the Beats and the False Prophet. So no one has been there so that it would change their mind. God is trying to prevent anyone from going there. After they're there, it's too late to make the decision and that's not because God doesn't allow it but simply because it is too late.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » July 22nd, 2006, 1:10 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby mondo223 » December 1st, 2006, 6:39 pm

mondo223

Postby Robert » December 1st, 2006, 9:17 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Badger » December 2nd, 2006, 9:31 pm

What shall we do? We can only look at the "afterlife" the way we have experienced this life eh? Mainly as a totally good or horrid experience. Once we view our life as basically good[ that every challenge as a way to grow] then the after life is even more and better . That means that God is giving a chance to practice NOW. Then we can use our meger self as a way to enhance what can be really fantastic!!!
Badger

Postby Solomons Song » December 3rd, 2006, 3:58 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Apologetics & Other Works