This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Grief Observed

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

A Grief Observed

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2004, 8:51 pm

Re: A Grief Observed

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2004, 9:10 pm

Sorry Malcom

Postby Sven » July 16th, 2004, 9:27 pm

Sorry, all, especially Malcolm
I goofed up there. I had replied a minute or two after Malcolm to Susie's question. Seeing that Malcolm had given basically the same answer as me, I went to delete my reply. And, of course, deleted Malcom's by mistake. All that follows is Malcolm's post, not mine.
Sven

Hello Susie,

Welcome to The Wardrobe! In regards your question, in his book C. S. Lewis A Companion and Guide Walter Hooper states the following:

Quote:
[A Grief Observed] was written in the days immediately following the death of [Joy Lewis] in July [1960]. When Roger Lancelyn Green came to visit Lewis at The Kilns in the first week of September, Lewis showed him the manuscript, and the two friends discussed the possibility of its publication, Green being bound to secrecy. Lewis did not wish to embarrass or upset his friends, and decided to publish the work under a pseudonym... Lewis... selected the name N. W. Clerk, thus combining a pen name he had used before, Nat Whilk (Anglo-Saxon for I know not whom) and Clerk meaning scholar or writer.

All the best.

Malcolm
Sven

Re: Sorry Malcom

Postby jo » July 16th, 2004, 10:16 pm

Moderator slip up moderator slip up!

I'm going to report YEW boy ;)
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2004, 7:16 am

Oh dear! Thank you for undeleting me though!

Postby jo » July 17th, 2004, 8:56 pm

Malcolm why has your avatar gone suddenly blurred? *looks quietly distressed and wonders if she might, perchance, have just had too much to drink*
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2004, 9:09 pm

You have drunk too much, Jo. I have a glass of red next to me and the avatar looks just fine. In fact, I think I am looking just fine as well right now. *MJM wonders if he has in fact drunk too much as well!*

Loving you like you were a sister to me,

Malcolm

Postby jo » July 17th, 2004, 9:24 pm

You're still blurred :( *looks into bottom of glass and decides to have another, as is obviously too far gone for redemption*

Loving you like you were a sister to me too! :D

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » July 18th, 2004, 11:41 am

I am not being funny, Malcolm, but your avatar really WAS blurred yesterday - and no I really wasn't drunk! - and now it's not .. does anyone know why that is? I can only assume it was something to do with the host site John got it from .. maybe someone thought it was funny or something :)

Did noone else see it as blurred though?

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2004, 3:19 pm

Jo,

I'm sure it looked alright when I looked at it. Someone has a funny sense of humour, perhaps.

Malcolm

Postby john » July 18th, 2004, 3:30 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby jo » July 18th, 2004, 9:57 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » July 19th, 2004, 1:03 pm

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby jo » July 19th, 2004, 1:05 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » July 19th, 2004, 1:08 pm

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works